Going Dvorak

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mirage, May 19, 2008.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Dvorak is a keyboard layout designed by Dr. August Dvorak in 1936. It's supposed to be much easier on your hands when typing because it's laid out so the keys that you most commonly press in a row are on alternating sides of the keyboard.

I tried switching to this format several years ago and ended up switching back.

I'm starting to think I might try it again. Most people who use the Dvorak layout can type 30-40 words per minute faster than the fastest people on QWERTY.

Does anybody here use the Dvorak keyboard layout?

Dvorak Simplified Keyboard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I just might bust out my custom keyboard I set up just for this. I replaced all the letters with new letters so I could learn it.

2. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I've never heard of that before. I type plenty fast already, and I wouldn't want to have to relearn where all the keys are. I can see how it might be more efficient if you have no previous keyboarding experience using QWERTY, but otherwise it makes no sense to switch.

EXQEX9 likes this.
  3. Doc

Doc Trust me, I'm The Doctor. V.I.P.

I think it would be too hard/tedious to learn a new layout. QWERTY is just easy and what I'm fimilar with.

4. Spackerchip

Spackerchip Registered Member

I've never heard of that before. Too much effort for me probably, and I'd have to re-configure all my games with the "W,A,S,D" layout.
    Hmmmmm, maybe if I needed to an assignment, of if I had my "work laptop" back then I might consider it. 30-40 words extra a minute sounds tempting.

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Another benefit of Dvorak in theory is overall it should be better for those prone to carpal tunnel or tendinitis from spending too much time typing. The reason is because the layout is easier on your hands.

It's not been tested officially though but it does make sense in theory.
    ------
    Switch To Dvorak

Makes sense to me. I busted out my modified keyboard and I'm gonna go for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  6. booku

booku Registered Member

7. Vidic15

Vidic15 No Custom Title Exists V.I.P. Lifetime

That looks fucking confusing, I wouldn't want to learn that, because I type fast.

Major likes this.