• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

God, the Almighty, the All-powerful . . the attention whore?

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
The more and more I hear about God, the more and more I imagine a very lonely person sitting in a field planting things, watching them grow, and then ripping them out of the ground when they decide to face the sun instead of them. To me, these stories of God creating beings and then testing their faith never bring much logic to the table. It just makes me wonder if there is a god, why is he/she/it so concerned with everyone paying attention to him/her/itself?

(from another thread)

I ask this not as a way of insulting (I was attempting wit with the title, not malicious jabbing) but as a way of trying to understand God through logic. While that may be a poor idea in the first place, I'm simply curious. Of all the stories I've read, from the Sunday school classes I can recall, God simply seems like he is very, very lonely up there and that people were his greatest idea to pass the time.

How do you perceive this idea of God? Why else would he constantly torture, hurt, and judge his supposed creations and then get even angrier when they ignore him?

NINnerd

Survived a M&G with Trent
Religion was created by men to keep other men (people) in line. The only way to do this is to make out god to be this very demanding being who will punish you if you don't follow him completely. Otherwise, what would the point be? And in order to get people to keep this god in the front of their minds, they say that god will get mad if you don't.

It's control through fear.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
The more and more I hear about God, the more and more I imagine a very lonely person sitting in a field planting things, watching them grow, and then ripping them out of the ground when they decide to face the sun instead of them. To me, these stories of God creating beings and then testing their faith never bring much logic to the table. It just makes me wonder if there is a god, why is he/she/it so concerned with everyone paying attention to him/her/itself?

(from another thread)

I ask this not as a way of insulting (I was attempting wit with the title, not malicious jabbing) but as a way of trying to understand God through logic. While that may be a poor idea in the first place, I'm simply curious. Of all the stories I've read, from the Sunday school classes I can recall, God simply seems like he is very, very lonely up there and that people were his greatest idea to pass the time.

How do you perceive this idea of God? Why else would he constantly torture, hurt, and judge his supposed creations and then get even angrier when they ignore him?
- Your understanding of (Bible) theology is very poor. First of all, the Bible teaches that suffering and grief is a direct result of sin. Sin is theologically defined as "that which is contrary to God's character". Therefore, suffering and grief is a direct result of [that which is contrary to God's character]. Therefore, God is not the author of sin and does not directly cause torture, pain, suffering, grief, etc. If man never sinned, there would be no suffering. Therefore, your last question ("Why else... ignore him?") is a loaded question, similar to, "Have you stopped beating your wife?".

Now, you touched quite briefly, in your first paragraph, on the doctrine of testing. Testing is when God allows Satan to tempt a man. Satan's motive in tempting man is to see man fail and lose his faith in God. God's motive in allowing temptation is to demonstrate man's faith in Him.

I will summarize all of this by answering your first question, which was, "why is [God] so concerned with everyone paying attention to him/her/itself?"

Answer: God is so concerned with everyone paying attention to Him because His love for us is infinite. Therefore, the most logical way for God to love us is for Him to draw us to Himself. He is omnipotent and omniscient and is therefore the only One who can protect us and satisfy us.

Your question is analogous to the following question:

"Why is a loving father so concerned with his children paying attention to him?"

The answer is simple: because father knows best. We are lucky that our Father loves us :)
------
Religion was created by men to keep other men (people) in line. The only way to do this is to make out god to be this very demanding being who will punish you if you don't follow him completely. Otherwise, what would the point be? And in order to get people to keep this god in the front of their minds, they say that god will get mad if you don't.

It's control through fear.
- IDK about other religions, but your words do not describe Christianity in any way.

Christianity basically teaches: We've all disobeyed God, so we deserve infinite punishment. Thankfully, God became a man and was punished in our place. Believers in Jesus as Lord and Savior will live forever. Let's all be friends and praise God for saving us :)

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
One simple question:

If He loves us infinitely, why does he send his creations to hell? It makes no sense and does not line up at all. You can't love infinitely and then punish people in brutal, violent ways.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
"Hell" is part of the part of a jewish folklore, its not in anyway related to the original crhistianism.

You also might have heard of -

Hades- Place of the dead, similar to the hebraic word Seol

Geena- its the vale located east of jerusalem, Geena is the greek form of Ge-hinom (the vale of hinom)

Last edited:

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
"Hell" is part of the part of a jewish folklore, its not in anyway related to the original crhistianism.

Geena- its the vale located east of jerusalem, Geena is the greek form of Ge-hinom (the vale of hinom)
Now THIS is going to be funny.

I want you to convince FTS that there is no hell in Christianity.

Has it also occurred to you that there is no such thing as original Christianity? It's made up of several religions packed together and derived from Zoroastrianism.

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member
One simple question:

If He loves us infinitely, why does he send his creations to hell? It makes no sense and does not line up at all. You can't love infinitely and then punish people in brutal, violent ways.
- Because He is also just and righteous. He has already demonstrated His infinite love in two ways: one by allowing us to live temporarily (this is because He is merciful), and also by sending Himself/His Son to die and receive punishment on our behalf. If you reject His infinite love then you will receive his infinite Justice instead.... so, you will essentially be getting what you asked for :lol:

To reject Him at all, actually, is to reject Life, Truth, Love and Joy. He has already warned us that Hell is not a place of happiness.

Btw, I don't think the typical picture of Hell is quite accurate. The main facet of Hell is typically the fire and brimstone, but it is not. The worst part about Hell is the complete separation from God. There may be fire in addition to this, but it will be nothing compared to the lack of God's presence.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
- Because He is also just and righteous. He has already demonstrated His infinite love in two ways: one by allowing us to live temporarily (this is because He is merciful), and also by sending Himself/His Son to die and receive punishment on our behalf. If you reject His infinite love then you will receive his infinite Justice instead.... so, you will essentially be getting what you asked for :lol:

To reject Him at all, actually, is to reject Life, Truth, Love and Joy. He has already warned us that Hell is not a place of happiness.

Btw, I don't think the typical picture of Hell is quite accurate. The main facet of Hell is typically the fire and brimstone, but it is not. The worst part about Hell is the complete separation from God. There may be fire in addition to this, but it will be nothing compared to the lack of God's presence.
You haven't answered the question:

Is it possible to love someone INFINITELY and to threaten to send them to a lake of fire and smoke and sodomy for all eternity at the same time? If so, you and I have extremely different concepts of "infinite".

FutureTrackStar

Registered Member

- Just because it was chronologically in Jewish tradition before Christianity does not mean it is not part of Christianity. Christianity believes the Bible is God's Word to mankind, Hell is in the Bible, therefore Hell is a doctrine of Christianity.

Mihael_langley

Formerly "Maikeru"
Now THIS is going to be funny.

I want you to convince FTS that there is no hell in Christianity.

Has it also occurred to you that there is no such thing as original Christianity? It's made up of several religions packed together and derived from Zoroastrianism.
When i say Original Christianity im referring to the preaching of jesus related in the bible, not what the catholic church trys to impose (being the catholich church the direct combination of several pagan cultures...ironicly)

As for Zoroastrianism, to be honest i have no valid information about it, i did a quick search on wiki and from what i gather its the main source of philosophies and theories for later Dogmas (such as christianity) Ill dig into it later.