Go Back in Time with Google

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
If you've been using the internet for at least 7 years then you'll appreciate this blast from the past.

Google has set up their oldest available search index from 2001 and has made it live on a separate area of Google called "Search 2001".

Google

Try searching around. Most of the sites you use today are probably not listed in the search results because they didn't exist 7 years ago.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
Oh my, this was fun!

I searched for my name and none appears if I used my married one, but I see old sites with my maiden name. I also see the old forum of my singing group that you cannot otherwise glimpse right now.

I also found old sites I used to frequent like ecircles and sixdegrees that both shut down the same year. Is 2001 the only year they made available?

dDave

Guardian of the Light
V.I.P.
that's sort of fun I guess.

it doesn't actually have the sites saved though. I guess that's what archive.org (.com or whatever) is for. ;)

You click on the link and it brings you to the site how it currently is.
------
Is 2001 the only year they made available?
it's everything from the beginning of google up to 2001 (so that's like 1998 to 2001);)

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
that's sort of fun I guess.

it doesn't actually have the sites saved though. I guess that's what archive.org (.com or whatever) is for. ;)

You click on the link and it brings you to the site how it currently is.
------
it's everything from the beginning of google up to 2001 (so that's like 1998 to 2001);)
Actually the year makes a difference. :stare:

If they made a site for google1999, then the old websites that exist that time will appear. If for example the website closed in 2000, like the ones I was looking for, they no longer appear on the google2001 search page because what you'd get is the page version where they announce they've just closed it.

It's what happened to one of the websites I found in google2001. The website was viewable for that year but if you use the link "showing as it is now, current google year", then the website link just gives you a message that says Site is Unavailable.