Global Warming

Elf1

Registered Member
There is no such thing as Global warming. Chuck Norris got so cold he turned the sun up. Lol. The truth is that it was bound to happen at some point in time. The only thing we can do is try and slow down the process.
Okay...

Say man decided to interfere.

And say we decide to slow down the process the earth is going through.

Now say we discover that man had nothing to do with warming, but we actually caused harm by interfering.

What then?

Do we get to dig up all the idiots who believed in global warming and do unspeakable things to their corpses?

Kazmarov

For a Free Scotland
I heard that Obama wanted to lower the rate of global warming by 80%...how is that possible if humans only cause 3.5% of it? Is that 3.5% not accurate?
I don't know who you get your political information from, but they're not exactly the sharpest shears in the old iron shed.

Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In | Energy

80% reduction in man-made carbon emissions by 2050. A similar goal has been set by the UK, and much of the western world. I believe California's is 20% by 2020.

I can't find your 3.5% figure, the only mention of 3.5% of global warming is here:

The UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change estimates that aviation causes 3.5 percent of global warming, and that the figure could rise to 15 percent by 2050.
Global Warming: The Causes

Which, if true, means humans are responsible for a much larger portion than 3.5%.

The biggest greenhouse gas is CO2 and water vapor... do you know what that is?

Plant food.
And if you have fewer plants and more CO2, then the plants are like "no beezy, I'm not taking that shit up" and it hangs in the atmosphere, trapping solar radiation within the atmosphere.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
Do we get to dig up all the idiots who believed in global warming and do unspeakable things to their corpses?
Most of California and Florida are in favor of increased oil exploration on Federal Lands and the OCS along with close to 80% of the rest of the country. Bush lifted the executive ban on OCS exploration and asked Congress to do the same. The House of Representatives asked repeatedly for an up or down vote and the good speaker refused. So why in the world would Nancy Pelosi refuse a simple up or down vote on energy relief and put the House into recess?

Because she cares about global warming and wants to "Save the Planet"
Pelosi: 'I'm trying to save the planet' - David Rogers - Politico.com

So, remember this in 10 years when China and Russia are burning coal and oil at twice the rate they are now and we are speeding towards 3rd world status.

Elf1

Registered Member
Most of California and Florida are in favor of increased oil exploration on Federal Lands and the OCS along with close to 80% of the rest of the country. Bush lifted the executive ban on OCS exploration and asked Congress to do the same. The House of Representatives asked repeatedly for an up or down vote and the good speaker refused. So why in the world would Nancy Pelosi refuse a simple up or down vote on energy relief and put the House into recess?

Because she cares about global warming and wants to "Save the Planet"
Pelosi: 'I'm trying to save the planet' - David Rogers - Politico.com

So, remember this in 10 years when China and Russia are burning coal and oil at twice the rate they are now and we are speeding towards 3rd world status.
A few things...

1. A majority of CA residents now approve of offshore drilling. Funny how everyone is an environmentalist if it is at the expense of others. Once it comes home and effects you, then suddenly it isn't so important.

2. You are correct about the effect stopping oil, or having this huge aversion to fossil fuels will have as an effect on the US. My only question is will it lead to a civil war at some point?

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
2. You are correct about the effect stopping oil, or having this huge aversion to fossil fuels will have as an effect on the US. My only question is will it lead to a civil war at some point?
If you look at the enthusiam and wealth of the Obama camp compared to the drab of McCain it is stunning beyond belief that this election is tied. And especially considering at this point in the election. Democrats always poll high in this phase of the election. Al Gore and Kerry had double digitis at the end of July as did Dukakis.
Gallup Daily: McCain, Obama Remain Tied

Its energy. McCain is (slightly)stronger on energy and that's all that matters.

You could take the most boring candidate around, put him on a national ticket that runs on sound energy policy, immigration and a few other key isues and he would win in a landslide.

I understand what you mean about a civil war. There are pockets of the country that have a lot of pent up anger over our energy policy being controlled by a very small group of people. Then when the politicians say to them "Well, you're just not smart enough to understand why we can't produce our own energy", they're adding fuel to the fire.