Global Warming

KiethBlackLion

Registered Member
I have often wondered with fascination how we have a temperature variation of 120*C from the polars to the tropics and of those temperatures their is a 50*C window that we can survive in and then a further 20*C window needed for survival on the scale we do. We are at a perfect distance from the sun (a sun that is the perfect size), we spin at the right speed and have a steady orbit. Our planet is the perfect size to have an atmosphere(unlike mars) and the atmosphere and planet work in tandem to keep a nice balance of gasses for us to survive in. Isn't it wonderful.
I feel the need to clarify or expand on one thing. As I learned in my Geology class last night, the Earth's orbit isn't exactly steady. Depending on gravitational forces, the Earth's orbit around the sun varies from an elliptical shape to a perfect circle. This refers to eccentricity.

wikipedia said:
The eccentricity of the Earth's orbit is currently about 0.0167. Over thousands of years, the eccentricity of the Earth's orbit varies from nearly 0.0034 to almost 0.058 as a result of gravitational attractions between the planets
A Serbian Mathematician named Milutin Milankovic discovered (for a lack of a better word) that the Earth's orbit, tilt, and precession of orbit varies over time.

The Earth's axial tilt varies between 22.1 and 24.5 degrees. Although it takes approx. 41,000 yrs for the tilt to go from one extreme to the other.

Also, the Earth doesn't rotate perfectly, it actually wobbles as it spins. Think of a spinning top. As the spinning slows down, the top begins to wobble. The Earth does this exact same thing. This is called Precession and is caused by the gravitational forces of the sun and moon pulling against the Earth.

Yawny

Registered Member
We understand so little of global warming that the reasons you expllain in your first paragraph for me at least; is a good reason to air on the side of caution and fear the unknown. As we are not clear on our impact on the environment the safest measure is to make that impact minimal......just in case.
I agree, as aforementioned in my first post. ;)

Hi_Im_Tim

I am Heavy Weapons Guy
I have been led to believe that the levels of solar activity go up and down causing the temperature on earth to go up and down.

I heard that Obama wanted to lower the rate of global warming by 80%...how is that possible if humans only cause 3.5% of it? Is that 3.5% not accurate?

ExpectantlyIronic

e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑
Hi_Im_Tim said:
I heard that Obama wanted to lower the rate of global warming by 80%...how is that possible if humans only cause 3.5% of it? Is that 3.5% not accurate?
I have no idea if your figure is accurate, but whatever additional carbon humans add to the atmosphere increases temperatures by an additional amount. Carbon dioxide is not bad per se, as plants need it and all that, but increasing how much there is in the atmosphere changes things. Since humans are adapted to things as they are, that could cause a number of problems, and is currently doing so by many accounts.

A good way of thinking about it might be to imagine adding water to the ocean. Water is just fine and dandy, and the ocean has plenty of it already, but if you increase how much it has by too much, then you are going to have problems.

Last edited:

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I have been led to believe that the levels of solar activity go up and down causing the temperature on earth to go up and down.

Just playing with the figures (since I don't know how accurate those are): If humans cause 3.5% of the global warming, then you can only intervene as much. If you can totally control that portion, then you can say you lowered the rate by 100%. I figure he's talking about 80% of that 3.5%.

pro2A

Hell, It's about time!
The biggest greenhouse gas is CO2 and water vapor... do you know what that is?

Plant food. Global warming is a hoax, if there is a shift in the climate, it is natural and humans have VERY little to do with it, if at all.

I believe global warming is true because I have notice a great change in temperature in the area I live in and also around the world. I also believe that the politicians and other people involved aren't telling us the true statistics. So how can we really believe the statistics that they are giving to us? :confused:

Elf1

Registered Member
People really need to dig into the science behind global warming: the mechanistic explanation concerning how atmospheric carbon traps heat, and the experimental evidence that backs it up. A local as opposed to global cooling trend, and/or a cooling trend that lasts for a relatively short period of time, is meaningless. Global Warming deniers love to point to charts of temperatures in the United States or some such, or even a cold winter in Chicago, and insist it shows something.
Wait.

You must mean all that data that keeps getting tested, or forecasted, and being wrong?

You must mean all that data where the scientists come forward and state that global warming is real, even with thermometers countering that idea, because scientists can't read thermometers?

But your science on trapping heat of carbon and such. No other possible explanation for it other than man and carbon fuels. Nope. Bad oil.

And yet when 1 simple question ever gets posed to you, or your ilk, you have NO explanation to justify it.

Here it is again...

"Explain the vikings settling in Greenland."

During that time, greenland wasn't a large glacier. It was open fields, blooming flowers, etc.

The last time I checked, long boats weren't operated on diesel engines.

But...but...but...the science...all the studies...but but but....

(my own view...global warming and cooling happens. Man caused? Hmm, not so much.)

persephone

Registered Member
There is no such thing as Global warming. Chuck Norris got so cold he turned the sun up. Lol. The truth is that it was bound to happen at some point in time. The only thing we can do is try and slow down the process.