Global Warming

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Hi_Im_Tim, Jul 22, 2008.

  1. Hi_Im_Tim

    Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

    Is Global Warming actually happening? I am very skeptical about this.

    Evidence for Global Cooling

    More on the same Story

    The ice in the Arctic is actually increasing. From what I have been reading it seems that Global warming is just a hoax.

    Discuss...
     

  2. ExpectantlyIronic

    ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

    People really need to dig into the science behind global warming: the mechanistic explanation concerning how atmospheric carbon traps heat, and the experimental evidence that backs it up. A local as opposed to global cooling trend, and/or a cooling trend that lasts for a relatively short period of time, is meaningless. Global Warming deniers love to point to charts of temperatures in the United States or some such, or even a cold winter in Chicago, and insist it shows something.
     
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. ysabel

    ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

    I don't think it's a hoax. I feel that some who don't believe simply refuse to change their ways for the sake of a better environment. I cannot understand why people would actually think that what they do have no impact on their surroundings and that shit naturally happens so why make an effort to avoid it.
     
    Van likes this.
  4. MenInTights

    MenInTights not a plastic bag

    I'm in the camp that climate change is real, there's just little we can do to make it cooler or warmer. I went to a glacier one time in Alaska. Its called exit glacier because it has been rapidly receding since it was first discovered over 100 years ago. as you drive in, there are signs that say 1895, 1925,.... marking where the glacier was in the past.

    things get warmer, they get cooler - its the way its always been.

    One thing that I don't appreciate politicians doing however is marrying global warming to clean environment. They are 2 separate things and just because someone doesn't believe in man-made warming does not mean they want to destroy the environment.
     
    Van likes this.
  5. Cliffclawback

    Cliffclawback New Member

    I don't trust the news or the conspiracies, but i can see with my own eyes how the weather has changed in this country and i know if you back a car up to a greenhouse and let the exhaust fumes get trapped in all the plants die.
     
  6. Merc

    Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

    I view Global Warming as a crack at the bottom of a boat. It's not entirely threatening at the moment, but eventually, it will sink the ship, so why not deal with it before it becomes a major problem.
     
  7. Yawny

    Yawny Registered Member

    I look at Global Warming the same way as Constantine, only, even if it is unsubstantiated and it is just another weather trend (200 years of weather records and patterns is really quite unsubstantiated evidence for an entire shift.) It is beneficial to everyone and our environment to go "green." I'm sick of smog-laden skies and the smell of cheap gas. :)
     
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. Boredie

    Boredie In need of Entertainment

    There has been a record of global warming over the last 100 years, as quoted from the OP.
    Maybe now we are starting a period of global cooling, but oyu can't say there hasn't been any global warming.
     
  9. Yawny

    Yawny Registered Member

    You would most likely have to be living under a rock to deny that the world has not suffered a warm spell. The debate, for me, is whether or not this is a natural weather cycle or it is human-induced. Because, for a world as old as the earth (some 4 billion years old), 100-200 years of compiled weather data is hardly convincing evidence for me as to declare "Disaster!"
     
  10. Hi_Im_Tim

    Hi_Im_Tim I am Heavy Weapons Guy

    What about how 30 years ago people were freaking out over a terrible disaster that was going to destroy the earth...Global Cooling

    If that is the case then we can't stop it anyway because only 3.5% of CO2 emissions are caused by humans the other 96.5% are from natural sources.
     
    Van likes this.

Share This Page