Global ban on whaling

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by MenInTights, Jun 6, 2010.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

FOXNews.com - Obama Under Fire for Backing Deal to Lift Global Ban on Commercial Whaling

There's got to be more to this. I mean there's no way we're actually considering lifting the global ban on whaling?

CaptainObvious likes this.

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

So essentially they want to allow it so they can regulate it. Eh, that thinking works with marijuana, but I'm not sure if I can really back this. I mean, we're talking about an animal that has had several of its branches hunted into extinction.

3. MenInTights

That's what I'm thinking. And, the people that are currently breaking the law are supposed to abide by these new regulations? Something just doesn't add up.

4. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I mean, the thinking sort of makes sense. There are no regulations since these people are exploiting loop holes. There's a possibility a lot of them will revert to guidelines if it's legal. I just don't know enough about the situation to truly comment.

5. Bananas

Bananas Endangered Species

That's the thing, they are not currently breaking the law, they are exploiting loopholes. ie. hunting for research. The article is misleading in that it says it is doing it illegally, everything these countries do is legal, hence why it is a loophole.

I dont really know enough about the industry to comment if lifting the ban would curb the numbers killed or help conserve the species in anyway.

6. MenInTights

ah-ha...Now it becomes slightly more clear. Good catch.