• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Glenn Beck's Viewers Sending Death Threats to 78-year old woman

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Crazy stuff.

Glenn Beck calls her one of the most dangerous people in the world.
"I'm about 5-foot-6," Frances Fox Piven tells Weekends on All Things Considered host Guy Raz. "I'm 78 years old. My hair is partly grey. I'm quite thin."

Piven is a professor at the City College of New York. In 1966, she and her late husband, Richard Cloward, wrote an article for The Nation outlining a plan to help the poor of New York and other big cities to get on welfare.

In their research, they found that not all the poor who were eligible to receive welfare actually did. They advocated that all the nation's eligible poor should apply. They felt such a strain to city budgets would force Washington to address the poverty problem.

Forty-five years later, Beck took to the airwaves of Fox News and his own radio program, warning the public about the obscure article.

"Let me introduce you to the people who you would say are fundamentally responsible for the unsustainability and possible collapse of our economic system. They're really two people," he said, "Cloward and Piven."

For about the last three months, week after week, Beck's been hammering away at Piven and her husband. From their 45-year-old article, he sees a vast conspiracy to overthrow the American financial system.

Theirs, he says, is a plan to "overwhelm the system and bring about the fall of capitalism by overloading the government bureaucracy with impossible demands and bring on economic collapse."

Beck says their approach is the main strategy employed by the far left ever since, applying it to everything from the Wall Street collapse to the health care law to climate change.

Soon after Beck made her infamous, Piven says hundreds of death threats poured into her e-mail account and conservative blogs. Things like, "'May cancer overtake you soon!'" Piven says. She ended up asking the FBI and state police for help.

While Piven acknowledges that Beck has never advocated violence against her, she still feels Beck's screeds led directly to the threats against her life.
"It's a lunatic story, but it's a story that nevertheless is clear," she says. "You can get your hands around it. This woman is somehow responsible for the upsetting changes in your small town where the factory closed down. I don't blame them for being upset. It is upsetting. But I blame Glenn Beck for telling them a factually untrue, crazy story about why those changes occurred."
Source - NPR

I remember when we've had past discussion about the political talking heads of the country needing to be a little bit more responsible with the power they wield and to me this is the exact kind of thing people get worried about. Like him or not, it's clear that Beck's recent and constant fear mongering about this woman is leading to her getting death threats. Now, is Beck writing them? Most likely not but when you invoke that kind of fear and hatred, this is what you get.

Thoughts?

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
Let me start off by saying I do not advocate violence in any way simply because you disagree with someone's politics.

Secondly, I would argue that many of the things Piven has advocated for has in part caused the economic collapse we are experiencing, so I disagree that Beck's stories are "factually untrue". That doesn't justify violence however.

Thirdly, it was Piven recently who called for "strikes and riots" like what happened in Greece recently. Oftentimes those result in violence and the destruction of private property.

Lastly, it should be pointed out Beck hasn't advocated for violence against Piven.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Maybe you ought to educate yourself about the Cloward-Piven strategy before you accept NPR's version of what it is all about.
This thread is not titled "The Cloward-Piven Strategy" it's about a television entertainer causing real world problems. Please don't start derailing this thread already. If you want to discuss the strategy of two people who tried to end poverty, then be my guest.

Do it in another thread.
------
Lastly, it should be pointed out Beck hasn't advocated for violence against Piven.
That's an important concept in the discussion of influence and the media.

Beck did not make any outward calls for violence which is true. However, I don't think it's much of a stretch to expect your audience, a generally conservative and fearful bunch, to react the way they did to the degree of fear-mongering Beck has enacted upon them. He may not be responsible himself for their actions, but he is certainly responsible in some degree.

If I walked out on a stage with a large audience and spent an hour talking about how scary, evil, destructive and terrifying someone was, you'd be hard pressed to not find at least a handful of people who were prepared to do something about it.

Last edited:

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
Yet another flimsy premise for you to attack the object of your obsession? :lol:

In case you are not aware, Beck did not discover Cloward-Piven, I even posted a thread about it months ago. So is it my fault she feels threatened? Her plan makes me feel threatened.

He didn't cause problems, the referenced strategy (hers) is the source of her trouble.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
That's an important concept in the discussion of influence and the media.

Beck did not make any outward calls for violence which is true. However, I don't think it's much of a stretch to expect your audience, a generally conservative and fearful bunch, to react the way they did to the degree of fear-mongering Beck has enacted upon them. He may not be responsible himself for their actions, but he is certainly responsible in some degree.

If I walked out on a stage with a large audience and spent an hour talking about how scary, evil, destructive and terrifying someone was, you'd be hard pressed to not find at least a handful of people who were prepared to do something about it.
I agree with you to some extent. I do think people like Beck and Rush and Bill Maher all have some responsibility at least to some degree.

But, I do want to make these points. I don't consider what Beck says and does to be really fear-mongering. He may over the top at times and his conclusions may be off, but I don't think he calls for fire and pitchforks. And secondly, I'll be honest, I call bullshit on Piven's claims of hundreds of death threats. Yes they happen all the time, Beck gets them, O'Reilly gets them, Maher gets them, I've heard each of them comment on getting mail from nutjobs like that. But I think her claim is exxaggerated. Political talk happens all the time. I don't see hundreds of Maher's watchers running to their computers and making death threats to conservative pundits just like I don't see this happening. Not that it doesn't, just not to this extent.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
But, I do want to make these points. I don't consider what Beck says and does to be really fear-mongering. He may over the top at times and his conclusions may be off, but I don't think he calls for fire and pitchforks.
But that's what I was talking about. He doesn't have to outwardly call for anything to be causing problems. Just watching his show from time to time, you can see how he works a crowd. He's a great entertainer, I'll give him that, he can really capture an audience. I know he doesn't typically call for direct action either. But it's his delivery and style. It's part of his schtick if you ask me. I think it encourages fear and loathing in people.

I don't see hundreds of Maher's watchers running to their computers and making death threats to conservative pundits just like I don't see this happening. Not that it doesn't, just not to this extent.
I really hate to sound like this, but I think that's a simple case of temperament. I mean, right winger tend to be a lot more outspoken, something I admire. Left wingers tend to be more reserved in my opinion, you're not likely to hear a lot from them and to me that's one of their downfalls. Then again, there's also a big difference of presentation with Maher and Beck but I believe that's another topic for another thread.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I really hate to sound like this, but I think that's a simple case of temperament. I mean, right winger tend to be a lot more outspoken, something I admire. Left wingers tend to be more reserved in my opinion, you're not likely to hear a lot from them and to me that's one of their downfalls. Then again, there's also a big difference of presentation with Maher and Beck but I believe that's another topic for another thread.
See, I see it as the exact opposite. Most strikes, riots, etc...are started by left wing groups. They damage private property from car dealerships to buildings to cars. I see leftists as much more outspoken than conservatives. I say that admitting every single one of us has biases.

I'll say there's a big difference. Maher uses vulgar language and everyone who is religious in anyway is a ****ing moron while Beck does not. I would argue Maher is much more incendiary.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
See, I see it as the exact opposite. Most strikes, riots, etc...are started by left wing groups. They damage private property from car dealerships to buildings to cars. I see leftists as much more outspoken than conservatives. I say that admitting every single one of us has biases.
We'll agree to disagree then. :lol:

Perhaps we'll just agree that all of us are obnoxious and loud sometimes?

I'll say there's a big difference. Maher uses vulgar language and everyone who is religious in anyway is a ****ing moron while Beck does not. I would argue Maher is much more incendiary.
Well, to answer the easy question, that's because Maher is on cable TV, not network TV so he's allowed to curse. I'm sure Beck would be a bit more colorful if he had the ability. Maher can sit up there and call someone a moron, but it's different than hammering the same ideas of people trying to "destroy America" over and over and over again. Maher's method will more than likely get a cheap laugh but with consistent fearful chatter about things you believe someone is going to do, you stand a much higher chance of creating a problem.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
We'll agree to disagree then. :lol:

Perhaps we'll just agree that all of us are obnoxious and loud sometimes?
I'll agree to that:lol:

Well, to answer the easy question, that's because Maher is on cable TV, not network TV so he's allowed to curse. I'm sure Beck would be a bit more colorful if he had the ability. Maher can sit up there and call someone a moron, but it's different than hammering the same ideas of people trying to "destroy America" over and over and over again. Maher's method will more than likely get a cheap laugh but with consistent fearful chatter about things you believe someone is going to do, you stand a much higher chance of creating a problem.
True, good point. But he does say things like 'Aren't the ****ing Republicans just being unpatriotic by saying no to everything Obama tries to do after they ****ed everything up for 8 years" which isn't just for a cheap laugh, but a cheap political shot. I think both pundits can incite some anger, which is why I find it curious that Piven's claims are so much worse than anyone else's. It just doesn't seem statistically possible to me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Hilander Breaking News 1
Babe_Ruth Music 3
wooly Breaking News 11
Babe_Ruth Hockey 14
MenInTights Breaking News 9