• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Glenn Beck

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree in large with what has been said, especially MIT. I'm not a fan of Beck's, I've rarely listened to him. In the interest of full disclosure I've watched Bill Maher at least 100 times more than I've ever listened to Beck. I was watching Maher every single week, while I would listen to Beck's radio show probably about once or twice a month, mostly because it was on in the morning and I'm at the office or at the courthouse at that time.

I've learned some things from Beck just like I've learned some things from Maher. I rarely ever agree with either of them, but I don't like to watch, read, or listen only to those whose opinions affirm mine. I would watch Maher because SOMETIMES a point is made by him or a guest that makes me second guess a position I have. Maher has said some vile and disgusting things (for example I don't like Sarah Palin AT ALL but I found him calling her the c word amongst other things FAR FAR beyond the pale). The point is I'm not going to dismiss EVERYTHING he says simply because he says SOME things that are far out of line. It's the same with Beck. He's said some really dumb things that go too far, and to be fair SOME of those things were taken out of context, but that doesn't or shouldn't dismiss everything he says.

MenInTights

not a plastic bag
I think the main thing I learned from Beck is American politics is really about Progressives vs. Constitutionalist, not Repubs/Dems or Liberals/Conservatives. This is something I've always known, but Beck is very strong on the history of this and I've really learned a lot from him on this.

So regardless if you're a Democrat or a Republican, I don't want your progressive policies. I don't want a Repub to tell me I can't drink or smoke and I don't want a Dem to tell me how big my carbon footprint can be or what insurance coverage I must buy. Reagan said this probably better than anyone ever has when he was campaigning for Goldwater in 64:
This is the issue of this election: Whether we believe in our capacity for self-government or whether we abandon the American revolution and confess that a little intellectual elite in a far-distant capitol can plan our lives for us better than we can plan them ourselves.

You and I are told increasingly we have to choose between a left or right. Well I'd like to suggest there is no such thing as a left or right. There's only an up or down—[up] man's old—old-aged dream, the ultimate in individual freedom consistent with law and order, or down to the ant heap of totalitarianism. And regardless of their sincerity, their humanitarian motives, those who would trade our freedom for security have embarked on this downward course.
Also the beginning of "The Ten Commandments" movie:
The theme of this picture is whether men ought to be ruled by God's laws or whether they are to be ruled by the whims of a dictator like Rameses.
I think I'm not alone with being thankful to Beck for helping me with this. A lot of Americans are turning toward libertarianism and calling for a small limited government. You can think the guy's a clown, but I think he will be remembered as someone that played a part in saving the Republic as we've known it.