Glenn Beck: Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Merc, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

This is not a bashing thread, I just simply want to know why you either like or hate Glenn Beck. If you don't know who he is, don't respond, this thread is not for you. You will be mocked if you reply.

Personally, I don't see a difference between him and Rachel Madoff or any of their ilk. They simply scare people and pick up the change they drop after running away in panic.

2. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I agree. Glenn Beck is a hate spewing, fear mongering radical. He has repeatedly shown racist attitudes toward muslims and homosexuals, and he has made certain people among us feal an unnecessary fear of our gov't. Should we? Of course, however, he makes it extreme, and thus wrong.

3. Merc

I'm never against fearing the government. Reading about Kennedy's assassination in ninth grade is all it took to start me on my quest from staying as far away from them as possible. But the lengths to which Beck goes to are what bother me.

4. CaptainObvious

CaptainObvious Son of Liberty V.I.P.

I don't love him or hate him. He's like any other political commentator, I'll listen to him, some of what he says I agree with some I don't. He offers a different perspective, which I always welcome.

5. pro2A

pro2A Hell, It's about time!

I've said it before, the only reason people hate him is because they can't refute his points, so they attack him on a personal level. Personally, I don't love him, but I don't hate him. I do listen to his radio show and sometimes will watch him on Fox... but as CO said, I take it point by point. Some I agree with, others are just common sense, and he has been right on many issues... but some other things I think he is just using drama.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  6. Merc

Glenn Beck: Mass Effect is a rape simulator
    Me: Mass Effect has a nude scene, no sex, no rape.
    Glenn Beck: . . . so have you thought of buying any gold lately?

Pro, it has nothing to do with refuting his points, that's just hilarious. I'm sure if I said the same thing about Rachel Maddow you'd laugh at me. The right wing loves Beck (as I've said before) because he's got balls and they don't anymore. He's aggressive, cliched and hyperbolic. He gets ratings. However, he's like a bad drug for the right wing because he gives them a bad image since a fair amount of his "reporting" goes without fact checking. My favorite example is the paraphrased version I have above where he claimed and spent almost an entire episode of his show lamenting the game Mass Effect because it was a "rape simulator" when he had never played the game and obtained "facts" by fishing out of a bucket of fail and lies.

Of course, no apologies ever came from him because people like him do not admit fault and that's another reason why people don't like him. Hell I even gained a sliver of respect for Hannity after apologizing to Jon Stewart who gloriously ripped him for using the wrong footage to falsely inflate the numbers of his rally. I think most people that have sane reasons for disliking Beck dislike him because of how often he is either wrong or blatantly ignorant of facts and yet, he still has millions and millions of viewers.

Personally, that's more scary to me rather than angering.

7. MAgnum9987

MAgnum9987 Do What Thou Wilt

I just noticed something: Who else was like Glenn Beck?

Take a moment and think that over before you read my spoiler

Adolf Hitler. Adolf Hitler became a popular extremist after WW1. we are currently in two wars that have taken large effect on our nation. Adolf hitler was a massive rabble rouser with a huge audience, because he, like Glenn Beck is spouting wrong facts and pointing fingers at the wrong places, and making the people be afraid of the wrong things. When morons get a large audience, bad things happen. (Hitler had WW2, what will Glenn Beck have?)

Sim likes this.
  8. Wade8813

Wade8813 Registered Member

I don't care much about him one way or the other. Some of his stuff I agree with/think is a good point, other stuff I disagree with/think is overboard.

9. Gavik

Gavik Registered Member

Glenn Beck is pathetic, undeserving of an emotion anywhere near the strength of hate. In short, stop feeding the troll and the show will fail.

10. JAdams

JAdams Registered Member

I think Glenn Beck is just another boring, typical politician who cries and says that anyone who disagrees with him are bad people. He constantly insults and belittles and tries to arouse patriotism for the wrong reasons, like the time the school kids were singing a song about Barack Obama in the tune to "Battle Hymn of the Republic", Beck tried to paint Barack as a commie trying to brainwash people and went on saying that we, as Americans, must rise and defend what is just and true, and even had a computer image of Washington's Crossing the Delaware behind him....all because kids were singing about Barack Obama. I didn't understand half of his ranting. How and why was that so seriously bad? Kids sing all the time, and they're gonna sing whatever the hell their teacher makes them. (Their grades are on the line here) The fact that Beck makes himself CRY in some of his episodes really speaks volumes about him.

But I have to disagree with you on comparing him to Hitler. No one could be like him. Beck is just another on the long line of people who cries wolf when there is no wolf.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010