Glenn Beck and left-right confusion

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Sim, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Sim

Sim Registered Member

Here an article I found:

Glenn Beck and left-right confusion - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

What do you think about that?

2. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

In spite of its numerous falsehood and mis-accusations its good to see that even flaming liberals understand the the protest movement has nothing specifically to do with Republicans, Democrats or Obama.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I'd buy that - maybe - if I had ever seen such a spectacle before over health care and whatnot, assorted mundane things; but as it stands I don't think anyone can say what's in all of the dissident demonstrator's hearts. Certainly the racists and frustrated far-right ideologues of the country must be among them, no?

4. Sim

Sim Registered Member

As far as I know, the author of this article couldn't be further from being a "flaming liberal". He is a "flaming libertarian" who hates big government advocates both in the Republican and the Democratic Party. IIRC, he even claimed in another article that Obama is not any better than Bush, because he has not yet ended voilations of civil rights as promised.

That's why I posted his article: Because it's neither written from a left, nor a right perspective. Greenwald is against the bi-polar political system and above the polarization between left and right, because he values constitutional rights and small governement. I thought that would provide food for thought. And I thought especially you, being critical of big government advocates in the Republican party, might appreciate his views.

Btw, why don't you reply to the points he brought up? If they are "falsehoods", I am sure it won't be difficult for you refuting them and proving them wrong.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
  5. MenInTights

I'm really not able to defend anyone else, but since I've read his books, I will give it a shot.

First the video:
    ==>The quote: "I was for the Patriot Act" is taken out of context. Every time Beck as ever said that it has been "I was for the Patriot Act, As long as it has sunsets." The idea being that the PA would only be in effect for 1 or 2 years.
    ==>Beck originally said he was for the bailout on the day Bush made the famous "This sucker's going down" comment. I think within 5 days he reversed on the bailout and advocated a "let it collapse" stance.
    ==>The Ron Paul disagreement comes from Paul being a protectionist. I've seen Paul on Beck a few times and they agree more than disagree.
    ==>He said Bush has a lot of passion and conviction. I'd say that about every President. It may be admirable, but doesn't mean I'm in favor or against the policies.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll just leave this space blank and we can copy Ahmadinejad's speech to the UN later this week.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Even Keith Obermann is able to realize that the 9/12 project has nothing to do with returning to fear:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beck recommends reading the 5000 Year Leap. It's a great history book. Where does religion and conspiracy play a part?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Beck is proned to conspiracy theories, but he's not Alex Jones or Art Bell.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    He's a constitutionalists.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Remove the biased comments and that's a fair statement
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Another fair statement.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    More fair statements.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Republican party? There's no Republican party.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    People that live in glass Salon.com houses shouldn't throw stones.
    ------
    Just to reiterate one last time, I've sworn off responding to Right=Racist charges unless I see some legitimate proof of someone in power is racist.
    Theoretical examples might be:
    • President that attends racist church for 20 years.
    • Senate leader that was member of KKK.
    • Vice President calling black presidential candidate first articulate black politician.
    • Political/Social organization established to exterminate negros.
    I mean, not that any of those things have ever happened. haha..

Last edited: Sep 23, 2009
    Sim likes this.
  6. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

There's no need to hide behind something I didn't say. Remember, some of my best friends are on the right. If thought they were racist, they wouldn't be my friends.

No, what I meant is what I said, which is that racists are undoubtedly out in full force among the others, who will fail to weed them out as they always fail to do.
    {quote]

• President that attends racist church for 20 years.
    • Senate leader that was member of KKK.
    • Vice President calling black presidential candidate first articulate black politician.
    • Political/Social organization established to exterminate negros.
    I mean, not that any of those things have ever happened. haha..[/quote]

Haha is right! Our half-white president doesn't hate his own mother; Sen. Byrd has publicly and repeatedly denounced the KKK; Biden didn't say "politician," he was referring only to presidential candidates; and I have no idea what the fourth distortion is based on.

Liberal racism, lol. There's never been any such thing and you know it.

Do me a favor, please, MiT; if you respond to my post, tell me why the racists are all politely sitting this one out... and what have we here?

[​IMG]

7. MenInTights

Any racist in the movement are small and without power. I went to all of the meetings in Alaska, went to all the protest and there was never even a hint of racism. Mainstream media is fueling the idea that its racial motivated because they don't understand it.
    I didn't see Obama on Letterman, but I read that he told Letterman: I was black before the election, people aren't protesting me because I'm black. :thumbup:

There's going to be a small percent of people that jump on the bandwagon like those crazy LaRouche people at the Frank meeting. But I honestly believe you're talking about minuscule percentages of people in the movement.

[​IMG]

8. SmilinSilhouette

SmilinSilhouette Registered Member

LMAO, ever hear of "affirmative action"

The best way to stop racism is to stop being racist.

9. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

That's what I'd like to think. It isn't what I think. Data continues to arrive and we shall see.

That's not hard to believe. Minnesotans probably wouldn't go for that, either. Others clearly do. Many signs are inarguably racist and indicative of much more than an interest in politics.

The media reports the news. We all rely on it for information. Only when it's news we don't like do we seem skeptical of its truth.

Honorable guy, that one. Here are a few more Obama quotes you might actually like, MiT:
    Al Qaeda is still a threat. We cannot pretend somehow that because Barack Hussein Obama got elected as president, suddenly everything is going to be OK.

I think it is important for Europe to understand that even though I am president and George Bush is not president, Al Qaeda is still a threat.

There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America.

We have real enemies in the world. These enemies must be found. They must be pursued and they must be defeated.

We worship an awesome God in the Blue States, and we don't like federal agents poking around our libraries in the Red States. We coach Little League in the Blue States and have gay friends in the Red States.

Why can't I just eat my waffle?
    Yes, and every racist I ever knew despised it with a passion. That's not saying you are one if you do, but this has been my experience with racists: not for it.

10. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

Wait... at what point after Beck voted for McCain, did Obama convince him that he was the better choice? The dude makes no sense.