• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Amusing Giving the voters the finger

Sim

Registered Member
All the rage in Germany!

Merkel's challenger, Peer Steinbrück (center-left SPD), is flipping off the voters!

This picture was taken in a photo session by the daily Süddeutsche Zeitung, in a series where the interviewed politicians are asked to answer certain questions with a gesture instead of words.

When asked about his numerous gaffes and the bashing Steinbrück received in the campaign, he accordingly showed the finger.

link

Allegedly, his advisor recommended not allowing the paper to print it, but Steinbrück insisted.

So now there is the mess. The press reaction is mostly negative: Someone running for the highest office in Germany -- how can he do that? Won't this picture haunt him for the rest of his carreer? And just the moment he got some tailwind after his successful tv duel against Merkel, people were about forgetting his gaffes, he once again confirms he's too impulsive for that office.

Some quick polls suggest the voters are divided, though. Half think it's funny or even curageous, the other half thinks it's tasteless and not classy at all.

So will it hurt him? Or is the only bad publicity no publicity? We'll see in 9 days (election will take place September 22nd).

Van

Heavy Weapons Guy
V.I.P.
This seems like something a candidate would do when they are desperate. A "hail Mary" if you will. I don't know much about German politics but if the left right culture is similar to that in the US, the voters on the right are more likely to be offended than the voters on the left. So largely, it may not hurt him.

It certainly wouldn't make me more likely to vote for him however.

Sim

Registered Member
This seems like something a candidate would do when they are desperate. A "hail Mary" if you will. I don't know much about German politics but if the left right culture is similar to that in the US, the voters on the right are more likely to be offended than the voters on the left. So largely, it may not hurt him.

It certainly wouldn't make me more likely to vote for him however.
I'm not sure how similar the left/right culture is in Germany compared to America (I guess we don't really have the "will someone please think about the children!"-angle as much as on the right in America; nobody cares about "nipple slips" either), but I think conservative people are more likely to say "this is silly and not serious enough for a Chancellor". So you're right, probably mostly people who dislike him anyway.

And I guess I agree with you ... he just wanted to get one last big headline one week before the election. No matter if people agree or disagree, they'll be reminded of him again.
------
I dunno -- "they" have been giving the voters the finger for eons :D lol
LOL -- good point! :D

Probably he'll lose, so there is at least something people will remember about him once he's gone.

Last edited: