• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Multi-Console Giving genres another try

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Recently, I saw Millz playing Command & Conquer: Red Alert on his PS3. It got me wanting to play Real Time Strategy again, and I downloaded a later game in that series on Xbox Live Arcade. It's a lot of fun.

However, RTS games are something that I've played a ton and enjoyed in the past, but kind of gave up on. Sometimes I don't always have the patience, it depends on my mood. With this game however I tried again and I'm glad that I did. It's a fun genre and a challenge.

Do you have any video game genres that you haven't tried in a long time, but might try again?

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
There's only one genre of game that I actively avoid, and basically never play, which is sports games. Every other genre I will play, no matter what it is, but I never play sports games. I know I wouldn't enjoy them.

I played some in the past and didn't enjoy them. I wouldn't buy a sports game myself. If someone bought one for me though it's not like I'd trade it in straight away without trying it. I'd give it a good go and see if my mind has been changed.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Simulation would probably be the only genre that I haven't played in a good amount of time. And nah, I wouldn't try them again. I usually stay in my lane. I like FPS, action adventure & sports. I occasionally play fighters & hack n' slash as well.

dDave

V.I.P.
There's only one genre of game that I actively avoid, and basically never play, which is sports games. Every other genre I will play, no matter what it is, but I never play sports games. I know I wouldn't enjoy them.

I played some in the past and didn't enjoy them. I wouldn't buy a sports game myself. If someone bought one for me though it's not like I'd trade it in straight away without trying it. I'd give it a good go and see if my mind has been changed.

I generally don't enjoy sports games either. I have been known to get pretty competitive in SSX though.

I've recently given fighting games another chance, been playing them a lot with friends. Games such as Mortal Kombat (2011), Soul Calibur V, Marvel vs. Capcom, Injustice: Gods Among Us, and Street Fighter 2 (yes I know it's old, I actually find nostalgic value in it). I find most of these games to be decent (though Mortal Kombat is so violent that I can actually say I never want to play it again). My personal favorite is Soul Calibur V, the fighting system is just designed. The only fighting game I really loved before this was Super Smash Bros. as a whole series. This has definitely changed my perspective.

I've also never been a big RPG gamer. Recently I've been giving the Mass Effect series a real shot. I'm pretty close to the end of the second game at this point. I consider it to be one of the best games I've ever played.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
RTS games. I loved the shit out of Age of Empires and Roller Coaster Tycoon when I was younger but these days, I cannot stand them. I've tried revisiting them and I just can't do it. I get bored so quickly and the games feel so stale. I like either a good story or great action sequences and RTS games simply don't do that for me.

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
RTS for me as well, I loved Sim City and Sims and I have recently purchased those games to try to get into them because I love building things and watching it grow but the patience and the desire isn't there anymore. I would start of quite good, build nice stuff and then towards the end of the night, I would get bored and build unnecessary stuff and watch the city burn while I laugh in the backround..

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Just out of curiosity, I've never heard of any refer to Sim City or Sims games are RTS games before? Do they fall under that category?

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
Just out of curiosity, I've never heard of any refer to Sim City or Sims games are RTS games before? Do they fall under that category?
I don't think so but I feel that building anything and destroying is can fall under RTS. For me anyway, but I think Sim City falls under CBG.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I would just call Sim City and the Sims "Simulation" games myself. They aren't the same as true/traditional sims that try to completely replicate reality but they seem to fit closest to this title.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I always consider RTS more battle games, where you play against another player or CPU player in trying to take each other down.