Giving and Recieving Compliments

PretzelCorps

Registered Member
A lot of people, myself included, seem to have trouble sometimes with both giving and receiving compliments. I think when it comes to complimenting girls especially, I have trouble expressing what I really think, because I'm worried it'll be taken as a pass, rather than just a compliment; a function of my fear of becoming "that guy" (I hate that guy). As for receiving compliments, I always end up giving the impression that they bounce right off of me, when deep down I'm quite pleased, and wish to receive it gracefully.

I've been trying to give out more compliments lately. What do you think?

Bliss

Sally Twit
I don't take compliments well. I always assume people are taking the mickey and tell them to shut up. My boyfriend would tell me I look beautiful and I laugh in his FACE.

I can give compliments very easily. If they're not received well I tend to avoid complimenting that person again in future.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Awesome. I am now posting in your thread to receive said compliments.

I never really have had a problem with giving/receiving compliments. Sometimes I do forget to make the effort...but at other times it comes quite naturally for me. I only have trouble with it when I'm preoccupied with something else.

Oh I'm the same. Sometimes I'm really grateful and want to show it, but end up saying something awkward instead or changing the subject because I don't want them to think I'm fishing for further compliments or something.

And I hold back from complimenting other people too much because when I do eventually say something nice and sincere, I want them to know that I mean it. If it's just a casual "oh I love your dress" type compliment then that's different and much easier to hand out.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I never had problems taking or giving compliments, I like to give compliments to girls all the time, if they look nice I'll let them know, some of them really like to hear that type of stuff.

If someone gives me a compliment I'll just say thanks and go about my day.

I'm comfortable giving and receiving compliments.
I'm careful with those who supply it.

Impact

Registered Member
V.I.P.
I'm comfortable with giving compliments to people I know well. If I don't know them so well, then not so much, as I don't know how they will take it. Although, I did compliment a stranger on what she was wearing once because I really liked her dress. I think I made her day, but it's not something I do often.

As for receiving compliments, I'm not so good with this. I'm never sure if the person is being serious or not. If they say something I know is complete utter bullshit I normally just laugh at them.

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
i've got no problem with giving/receiving compliments. i do both things easily and pleasingly. though when people exaggerate it, i start to have a problem and i think there's a reason behind.

Twitch

Registered Member
I can give compliments easily, and take them alright.

My girlfriend hates getting compliments, it's sort of annoying. I just want to compliment her and she tells me not to.