Giving advice?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Babe_Ruth, Sep 22, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Are you a person that enjoys giving advice or you rather let people try to figure things on their own? Personally for me if I have real knowledge on the subject and I actually know what I'm talking about then I'll try to give the best advice as I can, other then that I will let the others try to figure things by themselves.

Mihael_langley likes this.

2. Arcadoc

Arcadoc Registered Member

If someone asks my opinion on a matter, I don't mind sharing the benefit of my knowledge and experience as it relates to the situation. But I try to refrain from telling them what I think they should do.
    I'm related to someone who is always trying to tell others what they need to do, but this person is, IMO, the last person who should be giving advice. I absolutely detest people like that.
    "If you haven't been there and done that, who are you to tell me what I should do?"

3. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I enjoy giving advice, if you couldn't tell.

But that doesn't mean I'm close minded to others, just idiots.

4. FleshCouture

FleshCouture Registered Member

If I'm bored, I absolutely love giving advice.
    However, I DON'T like giving advice about relationship-type issues.
    The irony of this is for some reason everyone comes to me with their relationship problems. Even random people in a chat-room.
    It's odd because I'm a huge asshole and most of these people I treat like junk. Yet, they come to me for advice.

5. AngelsPeak

AngelsPeak Wanna play?

I'm not sure I'd say I love giving advice so much as giving my opinion. I don't think the two equate.
    I'm also terrible at taking anyones advice.:shifteyes:

6. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

I like giving advice, I usually regardless of anything will give advice to someone who ask for it. I get asked advice a lot of times in my circles, so for me I don't mind. I guess you can say for me it's my way of caring.

7. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I like it a lot, if I'm in the mood. I'm more of a listener than an advice giver, though, and I usually add something like "well that's what I'd do, anyway" at the end just incase somebody takes my advice and it ruins their life or whatever.

8. Rectify88

Rectify88 Registered Member

Yeah there are more times where I'd like to be a good listener, but I always asses the person and there problem, most of the time advice can just wait, I'd rather listen and I think it makes them more comfortable telling me. Then after I won't give advice per say as in tell them what I think they should do I usually put out some options, and then try and steer them in the right direction, I know it might sound complicated, but hey I want them to make it out okay and for me being all sage like and thinking about it is just my way of helping them out.

9. Nibbles

Nibbles meep

I give advice but I don't enjoy doing it.
    A person could be in such a state, any advice may be mistaken as a potential personal attack.

10. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

Giving advice, for me, doesn't necessarily giving the solution. So it's possible to enjoy giving it as much as letting the other person try to figure things on his/her own. Sometimes the more important process in giving advice is not really finding the answers but talking about the problem and giving the person the opportunity to see the big picture and consider the several variables involved.