Giving a fish or teaching how to fish

Registered Member
What are your opinions of this saying? "If you give a person a fish, he/she will feed himself/herself for a day. If you teach him/her how to fish, he/she can feed himself/herself for his/her whole life" I just want to know what are your opinions on this saying and what kind of situations are best related to this.

DinoFlintstone

"There can be only one!"
What are your opinions of this saying? "If you give a person a fish, he/she will feed himself/herself for a day. If you teach him/her how to fish, he/she can feed himself/herself for his/her whole life" I just want to know what are your opinions on this saying and what kind of situations are best related to this.
It's one of my favourite proverbs. You could apply it to charity... give a homeless man somewhere to sleep for the night, and he'll have a good nights rest. Teach him where and how to apply for a house, and he can settle down and live there forever.

Give your Child pocket money, and he'll spend it on treats, teach him how to save his money, and he'll have it for when he needs it.

Their are an infinite number of ways you can change it, but back to the original versions, if a man does live and work near the water, and you can fish, then why not teach him how to fish too, then he can come and work for you, or he can help the community. If you just give him a fish, and send him on his way, then you have lost a fish, and the man will wonder where his next meal will come from. If you want the human race to survive, then do all you can to sustain and protect it.

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'd rather show somebody how to do something once then have to do it for them all the time. I agree with that statement.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
This saying is sometimes quoted in rationalizing the withholding of charity, but that's not how I interpolate the message. It doesn't imply to me that giving a person a fish is bad; only that it's better to do the larger thing, if and when circumstances allow.

elcaminojoe

Registered Member
Though I do agree with the philosophical meaning behind it, this quote brings back horrible memories of freshman English. I had to write a huge essay and this was used in the prompt. Ugh.:stare:

dows

I'm with Joe - this was used in my english for high school so, thanks to that, I can't stand it.

However, it's a really valid saying (if I ignore my school experience) and think it makes a lot of sense. Very christian though ... in case you have anything against that? Haha.

Registered Member
I'm with Joe - this was used in my english for high school so, thanks to that, I can't stand it.

However, it's a really valid saying (if I ignore my school experience) and think it makes a lot of sense. Very christian though ... in case you have anything against that? Haha.
Haha yeah i think its very christian because I read about it in a book named "See You at the Top" written by Zig Ziglar. He emphasize a lot about the values of Christianity according to the bible in the book.( Mind me, I am not a Christian) But all in all, i learned a lot of great things through his book, he taught me the correct way to look at life and to help others.