• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Advice Give an 18 year old drop out advice please.

Wayytoolight

Hello all!
I am a 18 year old who never did good in school at all growing up
My grades through all of high school have been straight
F'd
Ever one of them..
I have been out of school and working for over a year now as a cook
And I hate the pay for the work
I just want to make 75-100k a year..
If I turned my self around now and completed
My ged with a good score would I be able to get to a good collage?
And if I do what should I study? I just want a good paying job
My hobby's are anything involving computers and fighting..
I don't think the 2nd could be a career tho haha.. Any answers
Will be greatly appreciated!

TomB

hey, first of all you should change your mindset and get away from that "i just want money" thinking...that won't get you nowhere...focus on what your desire is! So you say you like computers, how about computer engineering, i'm doing that myself... IT is my passion and i can tell you, that good money comes with it too..BUT really do not focus on the money too hard!
------
maybe that'll help you make a descison tho
• Earning increase after obtaining a graduate degree in the U.S. 2009 | Statistic

Last edited:

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
First you are going to have to decide what you want to do. What do you have a interest in? I wouldn't even consider the money because you have to be happy with your choice. If you aren't your not going to want to do it for very long even if it does pay well.

Dr4gon

Registered Member
V.I.P.
Did you have any vocational classes in high school? You could probaly enroll in a vocational trade school and get trained up for a career.
But yeah what Highlander said. You needa decide what you wanna do first.

The_Chameleon

Grandmaster
It's a hard enough road these days for University grads. Someone just making up ground has an even steeper hill to climb, but what will give you traction is directing your efforts in the same direction as your interests. An interest in computers and fighting... This brings to mind such ideas as game developer, creating a blog or website that is geared toward MMA fans in some way, or something like that. If you find an overlap between your interests and your career/lifestyle goals then you're one step ahead because the energy you get from your interests will drive you forward. Another option is the one I have taken recently, and that is to research companies that fall into a market you have an interest in and carefully begin investing in the ones you feel could make you a good return over the short term. I'd suggest doing some virtual trading first for quite a spell to make sure you've got a good grip on it, and keep your investment small (8-16K) and reinvest at least half of your profits.

As mentioned in the above post, don't aim for a monetary goal. Aim for a modest lifestyle goal that is sustainable and allows for expansion. Finally, the best advice I can give is to kill debt before it kills you. A common mistake is to try to dodge debt to increase long-term income. Only consider this as a means to achieving educational/training goals and even then, if you can chip away at it, by all means do so. When you are done with debt, it's time to save. (Peace of mind is money in the bank. :) )

A balanced life is one that provides both time and resources. Don't get caught in the trap of working your life away for things you'll be too old to really enjoy by the time you get them. Work toward a balance that meets your more immediate priorities while accumulating something for the future (i.e. a house, securities, etc.).

Last edited: