• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Girls/Boys Names

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
There are many names out in the world that are somewhat ambiguous, of the top of my head here are just a few:

Chris (could be christopher or christine)
Joey (joey or josephine)
Traci (traci or tracy)
Tori (tory or tori)

You get the point, all four names and many more could confuse you if you were simply given these names and were not told if the person was male or female. Does it confuse you? Do you have one of these names that can be confused and has anyone ever been confused by your name?

Falconer

Registered Member
Alexis is pretty unisex on its own (especially depending on your culture - French and Greek i believe tend to assume male, the UK just gets confused, I think maybe female in the US?) and Alex is even worse. I wouldn't change it, though. Heck, sometimes having an ambiguous name is fun! I :p

Vidic15

No Custom Title Exists
V.I.P.
My name is ambiguous.

I quite like it.

There are names that sound the same but spelled different such as Ashley, Ashlea, Ashleigh, etc.

Impact

V.I.P.
There are many names out in the world that are somewhat ambiguous, of the top of my head here are just a few:

Chris (could be christopher or christine)
Joey (joey or josephine)
Traci (traci or tracy)
Tori (tory or tori)

You get the point, all four names and many more could confuse you if you were simply given these names and were not told if the person was male or female. Does it confuse you? Do you have one of these names that can be confused and has anyone ever been confused by your name?
See, I would automatically assume that Tracey in any form was a girls name.

Sometimes it is really confusing when dealing with people via letter or email when they have an androgynous name but other than that it's not a big deal. Some people suit more feminine/masculine names.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
See, I would automatically assume that Tracey in any form was a girls name.
See I would have said the same thing until a few years ago until I heard Matt Hardy (a former WWE Wrestler) talking about someone named Traci Ledell and I automatically thought it was a women but I kept on hearing him say "he" or "him", apperently it is quite common in the states I just never heard of it.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I actually love names like this, they are my favourite type of name. My name is Sophie, but my middle name is Alexandra. I almost wish I had Alex as my first name instead, I've always loved that name, I love most names that can be either male or female. But I guess my Mum didn't know that when I was born haha.

Also, I see Tracy as male or female. What about Tracy Jordon from 30 Rock?

mudfolds

Registered Member
Yeah there are many such names that confuse me about whether it's a girl's name or a boy's name.
To add a few to the list:
Kirsten
Ciaran
Kim
Corey
Ashley

Dekzper

Registered Member
My name never confuses anyone. Joshua and Derek are both def male names but if I could choose my own name then Se7en might be confusing. I only know 1 dude with that name.

dDave

V.I.P.
My name never confuses anyone. Joshua and Derek are both def male names but if I could choose my own name then Se7en might be confusing. I only know 1 dude with that name.
Ah that reminds me of Seinfeld.

From the episode "The Seven"

How do you not like soda? - YouTube

Anyway my name definitely doesn't confuse anybody either. David and Michael are still very popular boys names. I think it'd be cool to be named Gabriel but David will have to do, I like it well enough.

One idiot announcer at a wrestling tournament shockingly got my last name wrong, but this is a forum, I can't just give that one out (though some of you may know it). You'll just have to trust me that my last name is not exactly difficult. In fact it's about as easy and common as Johnson.

Other than my last name, no, nobody has ever gotten my name wrong.

Last edited:

dobzy

Registered Member
This post is funny to me with the examples given, since each name to me is clearly one gender. Joey & Chris = boys, Tracy & Tori = girls. Perhaps it all depends on where you live as to popularity of the name with gender. Tracy is also my sister's name & Tori is the name of one of my besties growing up, so I could be biased there.

Alex is definitely one of the names here that would confuse me. Last semester, I was surprised to find that my one professor, Amal, was female. I had totally expected a male professor with that name.

Drew, Jamie, Skyler, and Cameron are some other names that would also confuse me on paper.