• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Girlhood (Bande de filles)

thealigator

Registered Member
Name: Girlhood
Director: Céline Sciamma
Release Date: Now
Premise: A girl with few real prospects joins a gang, reinventing herself and gaining a sense of self confidence in the process. However, she soon finds that this new life does not necessarily make her any happier.

Trailer:

I was lucky enough to see this film at my local art house cineme. It was from hearing a film citric I greatly admire named Mark Kertmode that made me sit up and pay attention, and as it happens, once again, Mark was quite right. It is a film that deserves and demands attention. It could be seen simply as another coming of age film but I think it is much more than that. It is not quite as raw as Noel Clarkes "kidulthood" or Larry Clarks "Kids" (which in the case of Kids is no bad thing..) but is a film I still feel is important and is worth looking for.