GIMP for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Art & Creative' started by SteveIgnorant, Aug 22, 2008.

1. SteveIgnorant

SteveIgnorant Registered Member

Anyone know how powerful this program is? I haven't really tinkered with it too much yet. Mind you I'm coming from Photoshop CS3

2. Exclusive

Exclusive Registered Member

ubuntu is amazing.

3. Syndicate

Syndicate Chirp Chirp

Outside of commercial use, you really wouldn't find many real advantages of Photoshop over Gimp. It's equally as powerful and capable as Photoshop. Due to its platform, it has a smaller support library but again, you're not going to notice it for personal use (or even profession in most cases). Admittedly, it's easier to find guides for photoshop but a bit of googling shows love for Gimp too. If it wasn't for the interface being so different to PS, I'd happily boot up linux for my graphic work. It has a nice little open source tag too.

Bottom line: Gimp is pimp! :)

4. Jake

Jake Registered Member

Well, Ubuntu is awesome, GIMP isn't

For a free software its amazingly good, but it just can't match photoshop

5. Xilmwa

Xilmwa Registered Member

There is a Gimp for Windows.

If you are on Mac OS X, may I suggest Seashore, which is an aquafied version from what I know. (there is a GNU Image Manipulation Program for Mac OS X, but it requires X11 and therefore looks awkward.

6. OverLoad65

OverLoad65 Registered Member

I think it depends entirely on what you want. If you constantly max out on all the advantages and capabilities of CS3, you'll never be satisfied with GIMP. If you just do fun stuff; you might find that you really enjoy it. I know a lot of people over on the Linux Forums I am on prefer it over Photoshop. And they're constantly posting eye-candy on the internet from using it. You just have to try it out.

7. Jake

Jake Registered Member

Well I think, as a free software, you wont get much better than GIMP, I use it alot (since photoshop don't make a linux version as far as I know...)

But, I wouldn't go as far as to say I prefer it over photoshop, It annoys me quite alot...

The only reason I still have windows on a partition is to use photoshop :p