• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gimme 802.11n NOW!

Reverend

Registered Member
I hate waiting for new cool stuff. The 802.11n draft spec got approved in November by the IEEE. Now they say it will probably be April before they have the full spec done. And who knows how long after that before you can actually buy it. Probably just in time for NEXT Christmas :stare:

200Mbit/s on average? Where do I sign up? I want it NOW!

Then I can see a media PC being useful - you could send audio wirelessly to several devices and still have bandwidth for sending HD video to your TV at the same time.

Pete

Python

Sssssuper Platinum ******
What will it be cost wise? If its reasonable, I'll have to look into it. I get errors now when I ftp to a website (using IE) and I'm thinking this might be a better improvement over 802.11b.

Reverend

Registered Member
With the specs just now getting approved, we won't see anyone producing 802.11n commercially until summer at the earliest, so it's hard to tell what it will cost. My guess is that it will be in line with what the other ones debuted at. Fairly expensive to begin with - probably in the $300 range for a base station, and maybe $150 for a wireless card.

The other potential issue is that 802.11n networks will probably bring 802.11b/g networks nearby to their knees.

Pete

Mirage

Secret Agent
Staff member
V.I.P.
I bought a Wireless N router (Linksys WRT300N) a few months back. I don't know the details but how do you think it compares to this new one?

Reverend

Registered Member
Ahh, sweet! That's a "Draft N", meaning they're using the protocol of the draft spec. I didn't realize that those were out there! The drawback of that may be that it won't be compatible with the "official N protocols" when they're finally agreed upon by the IEEE.

I don't know what changes have been put into place since the draft, but I did read somewhere that they had "addressed about 1200 suggestions" since the original draft.

My bet is that the final stuff will probably work with your router. How's it work for you? Any idea what kind of throughput you're getting?

Pete

Python

I have updated the firmware on my Linksys Router. It wasn't a big jump but I wanted to be current. I would cross my fingers and hope the "Draft N" could be updated by firmware to the "Official N Protocals" when it is set in stone by thr IEEE community and that the "B" could too.

My best bet is that it may be possible from strong companies like Belkin and Linksys but not from a "Brand X" company who just slap the parts together to make a little cash.

Reverend

Registered Member
Yeah, that's a good point... I hadn't actually thought of that. Apple just released their Draft N wireless routers too (to go with their sweet little AppleTV unit, which has Draft N too).

I bet they will upgrade firmware to "Official N" spec when it actually becomes official.

Thanks for the thought, that makes me more willing to spend :)

Pete

Python

Your welcome. Just be cautious tho. I already "bricked" one router when updating. It was a NetGear and I will never buy their products again.

Reverend

Registered Member
Yeah, I have never been impressed with Netgear stuff. But I've never made a coaster out of one. Just had a failed firmware update that hosed it or something? I can't believe that they wouldn't make some way to re-flash the ROM after a failed update.

Pete

Python

What will it be cost wise? If its reasonable, I'll have to look into it. I get errors now when I ftp to a website (using IE) and I'm thinking this might be a better improvement over 802.11b.
Just got my mail from Dell. They had

NetGear 130.00 for Draft-N (WNR834B)
Linksys 199.00 for Draft-N (WRT350N) comes w/ storage link
D-Link 164.00 for N (RangeBooster N)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
viLky Pets 26
L Baseball 0
1_ares_1 Ideas & Support 21