Gift Giving

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by oxyMORON, Dec 6, 2008.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Are you pretty good at coming up with gifts for someone who doesn't have anything specific they want?

I'm probably one of the most uncreative people out there when it comes to "surprising" people with presents. I get torn between practicality and amusement. Most of the time I go with practicality, and it ends up being lame or they don't need it. :-/

If you are good with gift ideas, what are some that you've given? Did it take a while to think of, or did it just appear in your head?

2. ysabel

ysabel /ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5

The difficulty is not with people who don't want anything specific (some are just undecided or will appreciate whatever), but people who seem to be hard to please, no matter what you give them.

Best is to ask them. Yeah, the surprise factor is gone but they're mostly the same people who don't care about the surprise value anyway.

3. Tucker

Tucker Lion Rampant

I'm the kind of shopper who wanders from store to store until I see something that makes me go, OMG, that is so Person X. For example, the other night I found a coffee mug for my cat lady sister that had a picture on it of two cats who look just like hers hugging under a crescent moon.Being as the cup was also the same oddly flared shape as the plain yellow one she uses daily now, I had a "Bingo!" moment and quickly plunked down the five bones.At the same store I spotted a baking kit with a pan and enough dry mix to make two dozen funnel cakes. Well, my son and his new wife were craving those particular treats when they were recently here on leave from the Army to get married, but it happened that the funnel cake stand at the amusement park they went to during their honeymoon was closed that day. So the kit went into my cart as well.

It's an inefficient way to shop, no doubt about it, but I usually feel pretty good about my choices indicating that a little bit of thought was behind them.

4. Bliss

Bliss Sally Twit

I'm rubbish. I don't have a clue what to get anyone this year. I have to do all my shopping next week when I have some time off work. I'm going to dedicate the day to finding something for everyone.

5. Nixola

Nixola Boom Boom Pow!

i would say i wasnt that bad at being "creative" at getting gifts for someone who isnt decided on what they want. like if they mention something they like in everyday converstation i take that into consideration.....i once gave my mate a "hello kitty" piggy bank thing with chocolates inside it....she loved it. one person i cannot buy stuff for is my dad. i have no idea what he would like. he seems to have everything anyway....i usually just buy him toffee coz he likes that lol

6. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

I do like Tucker does. I walk around stores until something hits me for them. If someone says they really want something then I will try to get it for them, but if they don't know what they want I actually enjoy shopping more.

I try to make my gifts personable and a mix between practicle and fun. Like my boyfriend keeps talking about how much he loves my pillow, and he obcesses about it nonstop, so I got him a freaking pillow like mine, but he is going to be getting video games too.

I try to listen all year long about things people say they want, then i will write it down in a little notebook and keep it for when their birthday or christmas comes around.

Like my mom has been wanting a cordless vaccum, which I got her, but that is boring so I also got her some fun gifts that she doesn't need. =)

It is all about listening to people all year long, and just knowing them well enough that things in the store jump out at you.

7. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Too bad I don't think about these things until it's too late. :D Almost every time I slap myself for not paying attention more. I'm hoping it's just been floating around subconsciously in my head.

8. Oooh_snap

Oooh_snap Living on the 0th floor V.I.P. Lifetime

Haha, trust me, I had to train myself to pick up when people are saying they want things. If I don't do that then I don't even start thinking about holiday shopping until December and I am rushing to try and find stuff.

9. Shwa

Shwa Gay As Fuck V.I.P. Lifetime

Gift Cards....I'm telling you they're life savers for picky people or people who always gives you those "I don't know/want anything" response. It's saved my butt many times, even on birthdays and such.

~Swa

10. browneyes106

browneyes106 Registered Member

I try to be creative when it comes to gifts. I usually buy gifts based on what the person likes and their interests or something that might interest them.