Giants cut Plaxico Burress

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
First Owens, then Holt and now Burress. Unbelievable amount of receiver talent being let go. Saw this one coming, however.

APRIL 3, 2009

EAST RUTHERFORD, NJ
- The Giants today announced they have released veteran wide receiver Plaxico Burress, who played for the team the previous four seasons.

The Giants announced on Friday that they had released veteran WR Plaxico Burress The status of Burress, 31, has been the subject of much conjecture since last Nov. 29, when he was wounded in an accidental shooting in a Manhattan nightclub. He was inactive for the Giants’ victory in Washington the following day, then placed on the reserve/non-football injury list for the remainder of the season. The team also fined Burress and suspended him for four games for conduct detrimental to the team.
“I am an optimist, and I believe most situations can be worked out,” said General Manager Jerry Reese. “We hung in there as long as we could in hopes that there could be a resolution to this situation other than the decision we made today to release Plaxico. It wasn’t to be, so now we have to move on. Like everybody else here, we want nothing but the best for Plaxico, and we are appreciative of the contributions he made to this franchise.”

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I agree I saw it coming also. But you know what was funny was the fact it seemed almost as though every single Giants game I saw this last season thats all the announcers wanted to talk about. How Eli Manning needs to rely on someone like Plaxico Burress... how the Giants need Burress, how this team is really lacking Plaxico... :hah: I'm personally glad they dropped him.

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree I saw it coming also. But you know what was funny was the fact it seemed almost as though every single Giants game I saw this last season thats all the announcers wanted to talk about. How Eli Manning needs to rely on someone like Plaxico Burress... how the Giants need Burress, how this team is really lacking Plaxico... :hah: I'm personally glad they dropped him.
They were probably right too! I mean look at what happened this year compared to the year before when he caught the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl haha

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
They were probably right too! I mean look at what happened this year compared to the year before when he caught the game winning touchdown in the Super Bowl haha
Yeah but theres nothing I hate more than annoying announcers obsessing over things like that. I mean the guy was out for the season... did we really need to be reminded about that during every broadcast?

So I 'spose now the question is... with all this cap space being made, are they starting to line themselves up for a big move or purchase soon?

Millz

LGB
Staff member
V.I.P.
Yeah but theres nothing I hate more than annoying announcers obsessing over things like that. I mean the guy was out for the season... did we really need to be reminded about that during every broadcast?

So I 'spose now the question is... with all this cap space being made, are they starting to line themselves up for a big move or purchase soon?
I hear ya...announcers are just trying to tell a story but sometimes they go overboard with it!

I mean, I guess. They could really use Torry Holt right about now...I'm just not sure what else is out there on the receiver front.

Owens with the Bills, Holt headed to Tennessee (crossing fingers)... I wonder where Burress will land. Redskins, maybe?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Maybe the Bears will go after him. I hope not, but he would be a much needed weapon on offense.

Unstoppable

Registered Member
this really doesn't surprise me, he was great for them in 07 but they aren't the type of organization that deals with this sort of crap, expect Hixon to have one heck of a season next year

Matriqulated

Future is Fused 3036A.D.
Took them long enough to cut him, I had no idea what they were waiting for actually.

we need him on the eagles team
We need something, though you have to know Jeff Lurie, Joe Banner, & Ried aren't going to take a chance on a 'character' guy like this. I'm hopin they make a trade on draft day for someone no one is expecting. We do still have 2 late 1st rounders which means one is expendable and is good bait for such a move. Talent wise I would love to bring this guy in though it is not going to happen.