Movies GI JOE movie

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by MenInTights, Oct 30, 2007.

1. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

FOXNews.com - G.I. Joe to Become Global Task Force in Movie - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

You've got to be kidding?

Paramount has confirmed that in the movie, the name G.I. Joe will become an acronym for "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" — an international, coed task force charged with defeating bad guys. It will no longer stand for government issued, as in issued by the American government.

That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. GI JOE is an American Marine, not a UN soldier. argghh - this is sickening.

2. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Oh man... This is a serious mistake. That's like taking MI6 in the Bond movies and changing it to something that everybody can relate to... even though MI6 is a real branch of government in England...

Same thing here. GI stands for Government Issue. Not to be confused with Arctic Government Issue (didn't want to single out anybody :D).

I hope the fan outcry is big enough for them to realize how dumb of a move this is.

3. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

GI Joe could never make a good movie, especially if they use the actual GI Joe toys for the movie, I think that this could turn out as very successful if they do it right, it has to be a good war movie that only uses GI Joe in it's title though, I really don't think that they should change the meaning of GI Joe to "Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity" that's just stupid, Paramount is making a movie that many people will not like.

They are probably doing it for the kids, you know how kids always want to go and see a movie just because their favorite toy is in the commercial, such as Bionicle movies or Barbie the movie.

Toy Story is the only movie that I can think of that was about toys that I liked...

4. Eilt_Druin

Eilt_Druin Registered Member

I heard about this some time ago and I think it is the biggest possible mistake they could have made with this movie. The news anchor on TV said they made this move to increase international sales for the movie, but as the anchor put it, "good luck trying to sell it to the US audience." I know that I for one will not see this movie unless the meaning is changed back. It is an insult to me as an American and to all the American soldiers of past wars that the GI line honored, including my grandfather.

5. dmny500

dmny500 Registered Member

It's just too late to start changing it now. This movie will be a failure and I personally will not go see. I think the majority of the US residents will also boycott this movie. I think it would be a smart move to keep it original and get the US audience back.

6. red_ranger

red_ranger Registered Member

Who's gonna be the Commander Cobra???

7. Van

Van Heavy Weapons Guy V.I.P.

I think many of you are wrong. It could be a success. Other than the name change, it could have some great plots developed. Maybe even make a lot more money for the toy companies.

8. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Yes but it's not an issue of how much money will the make. It's more an issue of why would they turn their backs on America and the real GI's that GI JOE was originally based on to make it "world friendly".

They are trying to tell us after all these years that GI doesn't stand for Government Issue? It's really a stupid and thoughtless move on their part.

The movie could still be good, but it takes away the respect to American soldiers that should have been left in place.