• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ghosts/ Hauntings

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
When I was younger I never believed in ghosts. I believed in aliens (still do) but never ghosts. More and more as I have gotten older however I have come across people with first-hand accounts of hauntings happening to them, or their family. This not only creeps me out but it makes me question whether I do in fact believe in ghosts.

The latest story I heard was from a girl at my college. She told me of when her family was haunted when she was younger at about 4 or 5 years old. She is now nearly 21 and remembers the time really clearly in her head.

She comes from a large family with lots of brothers and sisters, they used to live in a big house in the country when she was a child which is where the paranormal activity occurred. One night her and three of her sisters actually saw the figure of a man in a top hat standing in their room, and according to her the figure had red glowing eyes.

Another time they saw a lantern floating in the middle of the hallway. The third major occurrence (the one that finally made everyone snap) happened one night at 3 in the morning while all the kids were asleep. The two parents heard loud crashing and banging downstairs which is odd because they new all the kids were in bed (which they were). They went down and found that their large living room couch had actually been lifted up, moved across the room and shoved between a door and a wall where it had never been before.

Shortly after that they moved out.

This is only one of many first-hand encounters I have heard of, though I have never experienced any myself.

Do you know anyone who has been haunted? Or have you yourself been haunted?

fractal

Eye see what you did ther
I used to be afraid of the dark like most young children, but when it was day light I used to dismiss the concept of ghosts since nothing could happen.

Regarding the last example, have you heard of the theory poltergeists' phenomenon being unconsciously caused by people?

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I do believe in ghosts.

I've probably posted this story here before. A few years ago a couple friends and I went to a small, abandoned graveyard in the middle of the night. This place is out in the middle of the woods and is notoriously haunted. There are several websites about it and I think it's been on TV before. It's been badly vandalized and most of the gravestones are knocked over. The grass and weeds are about waist high in the summer. It's definitely a really creepy place after dark.

Anyway, we were walking around and I saw a shadowy object on the other side of the graveyard (the whole place is smaller than a football field) moving really slowly, almost like it was floating. It seemed to be about the height of an average human, but it was hard to tell in the dark from that far away. I told my friends what I saw, but then it was gone. We went over to investigate and there was nothing there. They thought maybe it was a deer since there are a lot of them in those woods, but the graveyard is fenced in and I don't think it could have gotten in and out of there so quickly without making a sound.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Why would you go somewhere like that in the first place Echoes? That sounds creepy as hell! I would never go somewhere like that in the day, let alone at night. There's some sort of crazy Blair Witch shit just waiting to happen somewhere like that. I admire your courage for going.

Incomple

Registered Member
I've seen so much stuff I have been left with no choice to believe.

My workplace for example, 2 years ago weird stuff started happening there like creaking, things not been where we left then that sort of thing. We thought nothing of it.

I should mention that in our department, only four people (including myself) have access to our workshop.

Last year, my colleague was working a solo shift, he had gone up to the front to help out as it was getting busy, when he came back down to the back he noticed that the double fire doors had come open. He checked the camera's back to see how it had happened, now on the cameras you cant see the fire doors, but you do see daylight pour inside for about 5-6 seconds, and then it goes dark again.

He couldn't have opened the doors because he was no where near them. They can only be opened from the inside and on the outside is just a very busy main road so nobody could have casually walked up to the door and tampered with it.

Another suggestion that came to us from a colleague was, "could it have been the wind".......I just walked away from him.

Zenheizer

needs practice
It's a paradox...there are so many eye witness accounts and stories of paranormal activity (movie was creepy too! the 2nd one sucked). But unlike aliens, I do not believe in ghosts for the time being, until I am God-forbid messed with by a supernatural entity. And I hope not to be, because I'm afraid of the dark.

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
Why would you go somewhere like that in the first place Echoes? That sounds creepy as hell! I would never go somewhere like that in the day, let alone at night. There's some sort of crazy Blair Witch shit just waiting to happen somewhere like that. I admire your courage for going.
I don't know. I admit I was a little scared, and it's not something I'd do alone at night. I just like that adrenaline rush.

It's a paradox...there are so many eye witness accounts and stories of paranormal activity (movie was creepy too! the 2nd one sucked). But unlike aliens, I do not believe in ghosts for the time being, until I am God-forbid messed with by a supernatural entity. And I hope not to be, because I'm afraid of the dark.
You're from Chicago so maybe you've heard of Bachelor's Grove in Midlothian. That's where I went in the story I posted above.

The Chicago ghost story that really freaks me out is Resurrection Mary. That isn't too far from where I live and I drive by there occasionally.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm afraid of the dark too Zen. If any ghost shit EVER happened to me I would lose it. I can't even stand watching scary films where ghost stuff happens.

And Incomple that sounds freaky. I probably would have left that job haha.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
I'm a huge believer and always have been. I've always had a massive interest in the paranormal.

My Nan's old house was apparently haunted, things were always being moved around the house and my Grandpa said he saw the spirit and actually had a brief conversation with the person haunting the house.

Not only was it really scary but it was bloody exciting, used to love staying over.

You could tell the place was haunted, strange things were constantly going on, doors shutting, items being balanced in impossible positions and loud unexplainable noises.

My opinion of ghosts is pretty simple, with all these reports and sightings around the world, there must be something going on and more than meets the eye. It's just a matter of time being we have definitive proof that ghosts exist.

Dekzper

Registered Member
I prolly should believe in ghosts. I think our house is too new to be haunted but there's been some really weird things happening here. I was up late a lot last summer and kept hearing footsteps downstairs like somebody walking. I went downstairs to see who it was but nobody there and everyone was asleep. And there was nothing outside either. Our closest neighbor is like about a mile away so the noise couldn't have been coming from their house. Well, I finally decided I had ear probs and just ignored it.
But something else happened too. Me and dad were making snacks in the kitchen and he put a box of crackers on the counter. I had to go to my room for a sec and he left the kitchen. Then I had to get back to the kitchen cause he wanted to know what I did with the crackers. I didn't do anything with the crackers and we searched everywhere. When we got back to the kitchen, the crackers were back on the counter. And I know it wasn't him cause we were searching together. And it couldn't have been anyone else cause nobody else was home. That was like totally weird.