• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Ghostbusters (2016)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm quite a fan of the original Ghostbusters, I have it on DVD and watch it a lot, but I was pleasantly surprised with this new reboot.

If I had to rate it, I would give it 5/10 for plot, and 8/10 for characters. Truthfully the plot is "same old same old", we've seen it before, but this movie shines in the characters, to the point that I would see it again I think. Kate Mckinnons character "Holtzmann" was a stand out for me, overall very enjoyable film.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
I thought it sucked. It was a cash-in on a marketable franchise and that's it.

The characters were lifeless and flat (with the exception of McKinnon who was managable). The CGI sucked, as expected, it was basically a Disney film. The villain may be one of the worst villains in recent movie history and to top it all off?

Sony ran with the misogyny angle after they realized how shitty people thought the film looked. So essentially, they had to hijack a social cause to get people to see it. Shame.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Sony ran with the misogyny angle after they realized how shitty people thought the film looked. So essentially, they had to hijack a social cause to get people to see it. Shame.
How did Sony run with the misogyny angle? I actually didn't follow much of this film in the lead up so I must have missed that. I heard that it had gotten a lot of really gross comments on youtube but aside from that I didn't really look into it much.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
Because the stars of the movie and its director Paul Fieg took to talk shows and social media about the apparent army of misogynists who wanted to "destroy" the movie because ew! Vaginas!

The reality of the situation is that a major movie studio assumed they could cash in quick on a franchise fans have been waiting nearly 30 years on for the next installment only to release one of the worst trailers ever made (having seen the movie, watch the trailer again, it's terrible). So they did what any smart person does ... took a bunch of Youtube comments seriously and then stirred up the culture warrior beehive to garner support.

Thankfully, it didn't work too well and the film is not bringing in nearly the projected numbers.

Looking at the reactions to the Wonder Woman trailer proves how bullshit the whole "army of misogynists" argument was. I'm just getting sick of seeing a select group of feminists using sexism as a weapon.

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay but the cry of misogyny was warranted though, did you even see the comments? I know that all youtube videos have at least some foul comments, but being the most disliked movie trailer in youtubes history and flooding the comments with nothing but the most vile hate, almost exclusively from men.... I don't know how to describe that as anything but misogyny. I don't exactly think they tried to "cash in" on it as you say, they didn't want that to happen.

You can argue all you want that "it's because it's a bad remake, not because it's women", but numbers fail to prove this in any way. Hollywood isn't so original these days, the majority of films that come out each year are remakes, reboots, sequels, comic book movies etc. And what's the difference between this film and all the other (often terrible) remakes out there? None of them got nearly this much online hate. And what's the main difference, oh, it's women, and very female-specific hatred online.

I do agree that the trailer was bad, although most trailers are bad these days, that's nothing I hold against a film itself.

Also the film isn't exactly doing badly, 73% on Rotten Tomatoes and $122 million in box office after just a few weeks is pretty solid actually.

Haha oh the Wonder Woman trailer. I couldn't help but laugh at all the "but look, we don't hate this" comments on that trailer. It's hilarious seeing how few of them were actually talking about WW, and how most of them felt so insecure about Ghostubusters that they were using WW to try make themselves feel better.

Also, fans have been waiting 30 years for this movie? If you think that's the case then I think you've completely missed the point of this reboot. Those 30-50 year old men? They had their movie, they had two of them. This movie isn't for them.

It's for them:

And they are loving it.

Last edited: