• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies GF Movie Review Club - Week 7: Waltz with Bashir

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Hey guys! For the movie this week I have decided to pick something that I own on DVD and has been sitting on my shelf for a very long time but I haven't gotten around to watching it yet. So I will be watching this film for the first time as well as some of you.

It's in another language, so if you can't find a DVD make sure you download one with English dubbing or subtitles

Director: Ari Folman

Plot: An Israeli film director interviews fellow veterans of the 1982 invasion of Lebanon to reconstruct his own memories of his term of service in that conflict.

Year: 2008

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Ive heard good things about this. Unfortunately I don't own it so my internet problem still persists. It should be sorted in 2 weeks time though and then I can catch up :)

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I'm sure Lauren won't mind a little longer and then adding up the ratings later on. She still hasn't done The Mist. And sometimes it takes a little longer for us to get hold of these films.

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
I have never heard of much less seen this film so it be quite interesting to look into this and see what it is like - it does sound like it has a lot of potential.

Impact

V.I.P.
Eh, I won't be watching this one. I have a thing about subtitles.

And yeah, don't worry about not being up to date with things Alt, you've already told me your situation. Even if I have the overviews up in that thread, I can edit them no problem.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Lauren I'm pretty sure this one has English dubbing. Most animated films do as it's easier to make the lips match up than it is with real actors.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I will probably be able to watch it tonight or tomorrow. It's been pretty busy. It's already been a week and no one has posted yet. Maybe we can extend the deadline on this one.

Impact

V.I.P.
Unless people post in here that they will be submitting their review later, or PM me about it, like Alt has (and now you), it will close when Steg posts his pick tomorrow.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
Here we go:

8/10

“We could see the consequences of our fear.”

That’s it—that’s it right there. As the psychologist said, we survive by remembering but sometimes survive by forgetting, this movie used war and conflict as a vehicle to explain the human psychological condition. This tagline does not just summarize the sentiments of this war, but rather of the whole summation of "war" in general.

Ironically, the boldly animated scenes were more "real" in their dreamlike quality than other drama or action films I've seen because this minimalistic tone gets rid of all the extraneous stimuli. When they are retelling the first day of the invasion, where they were singing in the tank, and his buddy to the right gets shot and slumps forward--that's a "real" death. It's not a silly action flick where a shotgun defies Newtonian physics and blows a guy literally across the room. People just go limp--and that's more unsettling and sad. It mixes the horrific gravitas of war with the "rock 'n' roll" overtones we often place on violence to psychologically survive violence.

This story reminds me much of Tim O'Brien's The Things They Carried, an amazing novel about the Vietnam War written from O'Brien's personal experiences. This is the theme with "real" war stories--they're not real. If a war story is filled with bravado, excitement, and exact details, then it's not real--so say O'Brien. This movie synced up with that idea seemlessly with the inability for the character to fully recollect what he'd been through.

“I felt guilty, standing at their graves; I felt guilty that I didn’t do enough.”
This was another line that got me because it is that survivor's guilt--textbook in speech but personal for every individual.

I was pulled in by the fact that we saw the war as he saw the war--"Through a camera--then his camera broke. He had used the camera to remain outside real events through depersonalization."

This is a tale of psychological survival more than physical--and that's what I liked about it the most.

The whole has me in a dream-like trance. It didn't even feel like the story was being told on or about earth. This distance perhaps allowed me to better masticate, digest, and absorb the elements of the storyline and animation symbolism. I "woke up" the minute they applied live action. I wasn't expecting it, and it hit hard.

It's beautiful and jarring, but I feel like the movie chases a message that it never fully catches. This is a great film regardless, but I don't see it as being one that I'd re-watch for enjoyment. I feel like you watch it once and then show it to other people for discussion-prompting and such.

Good movie pick, Crouton--damn fine pick.