• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies GF Movie Review Club - Week 6: American History X

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Good morning fellow movie reviewers, it is my honour to choose the film this week and I am hoping this will get some good reviews as I think this film is a remarkable one:

Made in 1998 it stars Edward Norton & Edward Furlong involved in a group who feels that America is being dragged down by the introducing of non-whites into the American Community. This is a film which I think has a powerful message and really makes you think.

Impact

V.I.P.
It's one of those films i've been meaning to watch for ages, but never got around to, so this gives me a good excuse.

Konshentz

Konshentz
When I first saw this on the latest posts I got excited, it stopped after "American" and I thinking it was American Beauty (which I've been meaning to watch again) but no. American History X is a decent film, but surely not on the level of AB.

Anyways, I'll try to find a place to DL this and get a review up soon.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
I actually have this on DVD so I wont be hindered by my lack of decent internet :)

Kons, I was hoping for American Psycho :lol:

Last edited:

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
I haven't seen this before but have always been meaning to so this gives me a good excuse to watch it.

Bliss

Sally Twit
10/10

This is in my DVD collection and is one of my favourite films. It's so powerful and moving.

I love films that are packed with action and violence. This film gives you that from the very beginning. Plus some hot sex at the start which you can't complain about!

One of my favourite things about this film is the black and white flashbacks. It makes it easy to follow and I like the way it was filmed. Rather than watching a story from start to finish, it is introduced in snippets and makes it a much more enjoyable watch.

I thought the music was brilliant. It really sets the mood and helps you identify how each character is feeling during a scene.
But to be honest that was something I found easy to do anyway. Their facial expressions during different moments were spot on. The sadness, the horror, the anger etc.

The story was absolutely fantastic. Nothing was sugar coated. They touched on murder, rape, violence and obviously it was centred around racism. This film went all the way to give you a huge insight in to the lives of many people. Gangs in particular.
The debates were intelligent and extremely well scripted. I thought the acting was outstanding. Edward Norton put so much in to his character and he did it flawlessly.

Lamont was a great addition to the film. Watching his friendship grow with Derek was great. It was a big part in Derek's transition.

Finally, the ending. The tragic yet realistic ending. It was amazing. It was really sad and I never expected it to happen. This film was not supposed to be happy or pretty and I can't imagine a more fitting ending to the story.

Konshentz

Konshentz
Eh, give me back my two hours. :lol:

The good: Edward Norton's acting is normally always good (with the exception of Stone, that accent was fucking horrible), so the movie gets some points for that. It also has a sad ending, which are my favorite (usually). I guess the curb stomp & sex can go here as well. Haha.

The bad: I'm not a big fan. It's a decent movie and everything but not something I would go out of my way to watch and surely nothing I would buy.

The ugly: Edward Furlong. I'd rather watch paint dry than this idiot.
4.5/10

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Eh, give me back my two hours. :lol:

The good: Edward Norton's acting is normally always good (with the exception of Stone, that accent was fucking horrible), so the movie gets some points for that. It also has a sad ending, which are my favorite (usually). I guess the curb stomp & sex can go here as well. Haha.

The bad: I'm not a big fan. It's a decent movie and everything but not something I would go out of my way to watch and surely nothing I would buy.

The ugly: Edward Furlong. I'd rather watch paint dry than this idiot.
4.5/10
Actually... those are exactly my thoughts! Down the dotted i's.

Except I would give it a 6/10.

Stegosaurus

Registered Member
A classic--for better or worse. When I re-watch this to rate it this week, I'm going to skip right back the part with the...
curb stomping.
Ugh, the part gets me every single time. :sick:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Really shocked at the low scores there. I mean it's number 38 on IMDb's top 250 list. I would have thought this film was one that pretty much everyone would find pretty moving.