• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies GF Movie Review Club - The Book of Eli

Konshentz

Konshentz
Our second film to review is The Book of Eli (2010)

You'll have until next Thursday to watch & review this film.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Bliss

Sally Twit
Nice choice for me. I watched this a few weeks ago.

6/10

The film isn't amazing by my standards. But it's definitely brilliant. It's packed full of action and religion. Definitely kept me guessing. And I had no idea that Eli was blind. It made me want to watch it again right after to look out for the way he did certain things.
As soon as I learned he was blind I did catch on to how good his sense of smell was and that he'd made references to that in the film.

I thought Denzel Washington was a perfect actor to play Eli. And Gary Oldman was the perfect choice for Carnegie.

What's nice about the film is that I felt I was going on the journey with him. Eli didn't know what was going to happen to him next, and neither did I.

It was pretty freaky when he was in the house with the cannibals. I didn't know how that was going to end. And the way the house was blown to pieces was fucking fantastic. That whole shoot-out scene was my favourite part of the film by far. If that hadn't have been in it then I probably would have given it a lower score.

I think this is the type of film many people would only watch twice at most. The second time being to look out for all the signs that Eli was blind.
I'm not slating the film, but once you know the story of the book it doesn't leave much for the viewer. Of course I would happily watch the scene with the house a few more times, though!

Konshentz

Konshentz
I couldn't wait to watch this again...

Not many movies will get a better rating from me than this one.

The good: Everything. Denzel came through with another great performance. Kunis was surprisingly good in this. Oldman played the cheesy villain perfectly. The two fight scenes and the first shootout were excellent (the one at the house was pretty good too). The movie looked good. I loved the music that played throughout the film. And it had one of those not-so-happy endings that I really enjoy.

The bad: It's very tough for me to pick out any faults in this movie. I guess the post-apocalyptic setting isn't the most original choice, but I was so entertained I let it slide.

The ugly: Honestly, that it wasn't another hour longer or that there probably won't be a sequel. Yeah, I liked it that much. Haha.

9/10

Last edited:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I just watched this for the first time the other day, actually. And I watched it again tonight. I agree more with Kons' assessment than Bliss'. I thought it was great and everything about it was really well done. I loved the look and sound of the movie. The story is great. And Denzel Washington played his role perfectly.

I give it a 9/10 as well.

SlowburnDarkly

Registered Member
I thought this film had massive potential and a good starting point, but it was ruined by the religious nature of it-- at least for me. This was my second time seeing it, and my opinion hasn't changed. I just think that the true nature of the film should have been better shown in the trailer. I expected a well-done "Mad Max"-esque film, but the undertones were far too blatant for a mainstream gray-area audience in my opinion. I will give it a 6/10 due to the quality talent and atmosphere of the film, but no more.

Impact

V.I.P.
Good to see other people jumping in with reviews. I'll download it and watch it over the weekend even though I only watched it recently

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was really disappointed with the movie, maybe because my expectations where way to high when I saw the trailer. Usually I enjoy most Denzel Washington movies, but it wasn't the case for The Book of Eli. The movie felt really long, and I just couldn't get into it at all. I thought there was going to be a lot more action, which I kept waiting for to happen, but it rarely did.

I give it a 3/10

I was that disappointed.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
I liked the story. I didn't predict that. Good thing they didn't leave us wondering forever what it is (some movies do). Denzel is a great actor as usual. I have issues with the pacing though...too slow for me. 6/10

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
It wasn't very good. It felt way too contrived for me. Too familiar. Another apocalypse type of deal. Felt old. Acting wasn't too good either. Had okay action.

SCORE: 4/10

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Okay so I'm finally downloading Children of Men. Then I will need to download this film as well. I hope some of the films coming up are ones I already have. If I have to download a new film once a week I will never be able to keep up, my internet limit isn't huge.