• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies GF Movie Review Club - Children of Men

Impact

V.I.P.
I am totally slacking. It wasn't at my local Redbox or available on my Netflix, so I will attempt to watch it some other way. Is there any place to watch it online?
You could download it. I can send you the torrent link I used, unless you're one of those people against that kinda thing.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
*cough*Torrent*cough* I'm going to be watching it in the next 2 days. I've skipped over all reviews and will write mine before I read anyone else's.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Damn it! I used to have this film on my PC and have watched it about 5 times before, I actually studied it in my year 11 media class at school, only now I can't find it. I don't think I have enough internet left this month to download it without going over my quota. If worse comes to worse I'll just re read a few synopsis' online and try write the review from memory of when I studied it at school.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
Ok I haven't read any of your reviews yet to prevent any subconscious influence. When I've finished I'll go back and read them and add comments if necessary.

Here we go.

Review 1 - Children of Men

There are a lot of things that can scare a person; terrorism, the loss of legacy and perhaps the 3 scariest words known to man: "Starring Clive Owen". Children of Men features all of the above in the first 3 minutes and once it's grabbed your attention it tries very hard not to let you go. The concept of an infertile future is interesting enough to hook you early on but it very quickly turns into a relatively simplistic "Save the baby, save the future" plot of which there have been dozens. However what sets Children of Men apart from other films of this type is the way in which it's been filmed. The camera work is rough and frantic enough that it's major action sequences really pull you in. You feel every trip and fumble as the cast attempt to reach their goal.

It would have been interesting if more time had been given to establishing the key concept of the film, "What is humanity without legacy?". It's clearly been an issue for so long that it's practically part of the furniture for the main characters. They speak about the importance of the new baby without taking time to explore why it's so important. What has life been like without children? It's hinted at for sure, everyone has pets (because animals are often seen as replacements for children) and one shot even had a statue of a dinosaur in the background (we're going to be extinct) but I don't feel like it was appropriately addressed by any of the characters in a way that made me connect with the struggle of having to live in this future.It also doesn't help that Clive Owen just can't ever seem to deliver lines with any form of sincerity. It's left to the likes of Michael Caine to deliver a performance that warms your heart and make you give a damn.

Conclusion: Children of Men offers some good thrills and suspense along with some interesting ideas to chew on even if it doesn't seem to want to explore them in much detail. It sets the scene perfectly with many of it's shots appearing to be filmed through a grey filter and camera work that puts you firmly in the centre of the action. Sadly it's let down by a miscast leading man and some rather cold performances that make it hard to genuinely connect with.

Rating 6 / 10

EDIT:

Now I've caught up with your reviews and they're nicely done. Half Eaten Surprise mirrored a lot of my thoughts but where as I drew a negative from the Vagueness of the plot and characters he drew a strength. I think these threads are going to be interesting, mainly because of the different ways we'll all be interpreting the films strengths and weaknesses.

We should definitely create an average rating based on all our reviews. It could be GF's very own Rotten Tomatoes.

Last edited:

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah Alt, when we've done a couple I was gonna make a thread with an overview of all the ratings we've given.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
As far as the next choice goes, do you think we should have some sort of order we go in like the drafts? If everyone picks the next person to choose then people may get missed out.

Impact

V.I.P.
Yeah, I'm going to be picking whose turn it is next each time (Muahahaha, I get complete control) so, don't piss me off and you may get a go lol. But seriously, i'll make sure everyone who is actively participating gets a turn. I don't want a list like the draft because i'd rather people who were participating each week got a turn over those who pick and choose, y'know. Anyway, i'll PM the person for next weeks and get them to send me their movie.

Crouton

Ninja
V.I.P.
Guys I think I might have to pull out of this club. I have watched this film about 5 or 6 times before but that was years ago. I can remember the basic plot and scenes from the film but not enough to warrant a review.
I thought maybe I could watch it on youtube or download but it just isn't going to happen. It's almost the end of the month and I've basically reached my internet quota as it is, if I download or watch it online I will go over my usage.
Sorry about this guys.