• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies GF Movie Review Club 2.0 - Week 1

Which movie do you want to review?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Konshentz

Konshentz
Someone vote for Revolver and break this tie. If the other one wins, I skip week one. Haha.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I'm watching both either way.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I've seen Requiem for a Dream a couple of times, so Revolver gets my vote. I've actually never seen it before.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Yay! Revolver is probably going to be the film. I can guarantee to have it watched by Tuesday night, then. I have the time for sure.

I did some research on the cast and the directors, and I am excited.

Impact

V.I.P.
Revolver actually has 7 votes as Bramaca said he wanted that one too, but didn't vote on the poll

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
Well I am willing to watch the film but I may a be a little bit biased as I still to this day have Mark Kermodes ten minute rant in my head about Revolver - if anyone wants to hear it (it is very funny) - let me know.

Impact

V.I.P.
^ Sure i'd like to hear that.

And yes, movie is officially Revolver. 2 weeks to review...so get watching!

sunrise

aka ginger warlock
V.I.P.
My review of Revolver:

I have never been the biggest fan of Guy Ritchie, I enjoyed Lock Stock and do intend to watch Snatch but I have just never cared for him and honestly after seeing this film I am not sure I will bother.

I applaud Guy Ritchie for wanting to do a film that is not just a flashy guns and geezas film as this is essentially all Ritchie seems to do so good luck to him for trying to a film that looks into the human psyche but to make a film like this that is blatant from the beginning borders on insulting. In an interview with Ritchie he says "its a film that is not complicated, but the mind makes it complicated", the film is complicated Guy BUT ONLY BECAUSE YOU GO TO SO MUCH TROUBLE TO MAKE IT COMPLICATED TO MAKE YOU LOOK MORE CLEVER! This is not a film about concepts, its film you have thrown together with a load of very nicely picked out quotes that could be found by doing a search on google in one afternoon. But whoah, lets not get to far ahead of oneself, their are clever things, I mean take his name for example, "green", its the central colour in the spectrum and as a result he is the central character in the film, now THAT is deep.

The amusing thing in all this is the Jason Stathem character who talks to Jake Green all the way through the film, it is his inner conscious and frankly he talks absolutely rubbish, "the answer, is inside the head, next to the foot, of a person whom if you beat them at chess..." and I would love to know how they got Ray Liotta involved in this.

The thing that annoys me about this film is it tries to make it more complicated than it needs to be. If this was a straight up revenge movie such as "Old Boy" then I could have given this film more credit because at least that film would be a film you could just accept the problem is Guy is when you start to do these flash back scenes, try to make things more complex alarm bells start ringing sounding "this film has no substance, we know it has no substance, the audience know this so lets fuck with their heads a bit to try to make it more complex to try to give it substance", I think I would rather watch The Departed again because at least that had a level of intelligence.

My score - a very predictable 2 out of 10

Sorry to anyone who has already read this, for some reason I put it in quotes rather than spoilers - durh....

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
I'm looking forward to watching this. I'll have my review by tomorrow night.

I have a thing for Guy Ritchie movies, so this could be good.