GF Membership.

English-Emo-Boy

Supreme System Lord
V.I.P.
Do you feel that we have enough established members?

Do you reckon that there isn't enough quality within our existing members.

Would you prefere a small member base?

I personally would like to see some more members get involved. We seem to get alot of people who post for a day or two then bugger off. As a forum, you can never have enough quality membership. I reckon we only have about 70 regular members.

Even though I loved the "cozy" feeling GF once had with a smaller member base, I certainly prefer the more active community we have now.
I agree English, we do need more of the members to get involved and post more.
No one bites. (much)

Mirage

Administrator
Staff member
V.I.P.
More is always better. Even if it starts to feel crowded we can always let people make groups like the rep groups, but for social reasons. Growth is always a good thing as long as it's quality members joining as opposed to trolls and spammers.

It's always better to have more discussion from active members. I say keep em coming.

icegoat63

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
I like the feeling of community. The even more fun part about a Big forum are the social groups. I've yet to be somewhere on a large forum where the social groups cant peacefully coexist. For instance on another forum we had there were specifically 4 groups of people:

The main group would be the "Old Timers" they were the ones who knew hockey and had been around and studied fights in hockey for a respectable amount of time. They were like the Elders hahaha.

The other group was the Homers. They were the ones who bickered amongst eachother over who's Home team was the best and could do no wrong. It was hilarious because that particular forum had team specific subforums and each "Homer" would do a bombing run in a rival teams sub forum every once in a while. It led to some funny but short lived flame thread fests.

Another prominent group was the Political posters, they 90% of their posts were in the political section debating against 1 guy who happened to be the only person who openly expressed his opinion on that forum. From the outside those threads looked like someone had dropped napalm on a petroleum farm. Nothing but flaming and fire fights. The Political section got shut down and thus leading to the Political posters to span out or just eventually dissapear.

Finally the group that I belonged to was the "Babblin" posters. We spent our time BS'ing and rarely even visited the hockey part of the forum. Funny enough we were mostly made up of the ones who actually played the game instead of just fanticized about it. We caught alot of criticism for not posting in hockey specific threads. Hence the reason I left when I got invited to this forum which better suits my style.

But I have good memories of that and could imagine a similar style community here. I dont feel it would take away from the quality of our environment at all. Rivalries would probably sprout, but since Rep wars are encouraged here I think that would just add to the fun as long as people can keep it impersonal.

Hiei

The Hierophant
I've been on a lot of forums in my time and some of them have been huge with over 100,000 members and where about 3,000 or more were actually active members. Others have been as low as a few dozen members total. I prefer more members. It keeps things active and the rules are generally more lenient.

The only problem I have with smaller sites is that there simply isn't enough between the few people to make the forum last very long. But I think this site is about in the middle of the places I've been and I like the community here. Do I think it has room for more members, yes I do. I think this place would only get better if there were even a dozen more active members with quality material.

Merc

Certified Shitlord
V.I.P.
I like GF the way it is and to be honest I hope it never gets too big. Of course, that's not to say I'm going to leave anytime soon (no matter how big it gets) it just feels harder the more people that are here, you know?

Tucker

Lion Rampant
More is always better. Even if it starts to feel crowded we can always let people make groups like the rep groups, but for social reasons. Growth is always a good thing as long as it's quality members joining as opposed to trolls and spammers.

It's always better to have more discussion from active members. I say keep em coming.
Having participated myself in forums both massive and miniscule (e.g., gaiaonline vs. iaskpeople), I couldn't agree more - and with that in mind, and given the quality of the current membership here, I'm thinking now about recruiting some newbs to GF from among my Internet friend base.

Don't worry, they're not all liberals. :)

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I agree with Cons for the most part. I think GF is the perfect size right now and I'll probably start losing interest if it gets much bigger.

Altanzitarron

Tamer Of The LOLzilla
It normally takes me a while to start remembering people on forums but it finally seems like I'm getting a feel for most of the regulars here. I find with massive forums you get loads of repeat threads and it becomes even harder to get a sense of community going. People's posts become anonymous in a sea of repeptitiive responses. With that said, a few more quality memebers would be fine.

I think the size now is pretty good. It could get a bit bigger, but I'm happy with this rough size. I definitely wouldn't want it to get huge, because in my mind there is such thing as a message board that is too big. If this place were to become something like Something Awful, I would leave.