GF Chips II - Suggestion

Discussion in 'Ideas & Support' started by PretzelCorps, Dec 1, 2008.

1. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

I was just about to post in DinoFlintstone's thread, when I realized that it would make a great site-suggestion:

I do recall reading somewhere about a "forum store" code, but I think it was for PHPbb, not vBulletin...

Anyways, a "forum store" would be a very interesting use for GF Chips --> They would actually have a (small) value, rather than just be a number that is displayed by your name.

You obviously wouldn't sell real, physical things >>> For a certain GFC price, you would sell stuff like:

• Special forum awards that are only available via the GFStore, and are displayed with your avatar, amongst the other awards.
    • Gifts --> Merge this with the rep system, and users could give their "gifts" away with positive rep!
    • "Collector items", that are limited in number.
    • Holiday themed items.
    • Tons of other ideas, I'm sure
    You could also have some items that aren't worth GF Chips, but actually have to be purchased with real money; kinda like the Facebook Gifts, and stuff like that.

And then, there's a million ways to expand with this:

You could let Premium and VIP users have their own little "marketplace", and allow them to design their own items.

User designed items (and GF items, too) could technically be nothing more than a name, a 30x30 Jpeg, maybe a description, and an "amount" (ie: how many items "exist")

Looking over that... It's a huge project, so I'm probably just dreaming.

.....But it'd sure make Christmas a lot of fun around here!

:w00t:

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008

2. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

We had that before on FC, it was pretty damn cool.

3. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

We used to have a store but most items that were in the store are just build into various memberships now. Changing user titles, additional forum access, etc.

For me or for you? :lol:

As for gifts, I might be able to pull that off. What types of items would be available for gifts though? I'd need some ideas.

4. PretzelCorps

Oh, I wasn't even thinking for THIS Christmas. :lol:

This is an illustration of what I had in mind when I wrote it:

[​IMG]

5. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

Lol.. so just pictures right?

How do facebook gifts work? I have never used them. I am not into facebook or myspace much.

6. PretzelCorps

Facebook gifts work the same --> It's a small picture, a name, and a description. You send Facebook $1 USD, and pick whatever. The "gift" is sent to the user, with a message or something, and it gets displayed on the receiver's profile.

In this case, it could be GF Chips, instead of USD. (or a combo of both! :D)

Yeah, nothing more than little pictures (like, 50x50 seems pretty good).

With this, it really is the thought that counts.
    ------
    And then you could have the "collector's items", which only sell a limited amount, like:

[[pic]]

Official Piece of Hybrix
    Buy your very own piece of Hybrix!!

Items remaining: 10

Price: $1 USD or 1000 GF Chips

7. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

lmao... I've been pushing for a GF Chip Purchase ability for along while now but according to Hybrix what with the Poker system in place and Internet Gambling Regulations there is a lot of Red and/or Caution tape that would fall into place when it comes to purchasing the Chips with actual money. Its just easier to not.....

There have been a few other alternatives to using the chips for things other than poker and in the past this type of idea has been my favorite. There was another one that I liked also, it was similar to a "Strong Man" contest. The one where you take a sledge hammer and hit the weight up the big Ruler... Basically it would be like a pissing contest for battle groups. Toss in whatever amount of GF Chips to "fill the meter" in order to beat the other group. :hah: it had promise but to many people were stingy with their chips and didnt like the idea so it burst into flames and was forgotten.

~~~~~~
    Edit/Addition:

I just thought of a neat game to play. This is how it works... We would need 1 honest "Banker" who wont spill the beans and then any number of participants (at least 2). Participants make a small donation to the banker via the chip donation function in the User CP. After a deadline and all donations are submitted... the Banker now takes tally of every member who submitted a donation (by making a public list of participating usernames).

From there Each member is allowed 1 guess* to the amount of chips in the pot. Top 5 members closest guessers get fractions of the whole pot (ie: 1st-30% 2nd-25% 3rd-15% 4th-10% 5th-5%... this accounts 15% for tax and maybe even a Bankers reward ;)). If a member hits it on the dot they'd get a better pot (ie: on the dot 1st- 50% 2nd-20% 3rd-10% 4th-7% 5th-3%). Obviously the more players the bigger the pot, the bigger the reward, and the more difficult the game.

The GF Lotto!

*Addenda 1: Number of allowed guesses per donation of 5 or more chips; ie: 1-5 chips=1 guess, 6-10=2, 11-15=3,16-20=4, etc etc

8. PretzelCorps

Okay, so you wouldn't be able to buy the chips...

But you could buy items in the store, and make it so that those items aren't resale-able for GF Chips --> Technically, it's just a donation.

Eventually, there could be a GF Economy. :shifteyes:
    ------

Hey, for an idea like that, Hybrix wouldn't even need to make any new code! :lol:

Just make a thread, and say that the entry fee is 25 chips, or something! Is there any notification when you receive chip transfers from people?

To have an "entry fee", you'd need a different way to decide who wins, though....

EDIT

Oo oo oo! And then we could have GF Scandals, when the banker is caught embezzling GF Chips from the pot!! :lol:

9. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

yeah it shows all donations and donations recieved you get/made in that Chip Transfer area. Members can leave a note (like they can with rep) while sending the donation. However I'm not so sure how the GF Tax works...

10. PretzelCorps

:mellow: Suddenly, all at once, I realize just how little this feature has actually been capitalized on since it's implementation.......

Once I have the capital, I could become a GF Loan Shark, or a GF Mobster!!

"Where's mah money? You wouldn't want any negative rep, now, would you??"