• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GF Book Club

Loyal-Friend

Registered Member
Thought I'd start a book club here on GF. Please feel free to join. You must also be prepared to read from any genre.

I'll post a few book ideas for the January read here soon. In the meantime any ideas for nominations will be welcome.

You get a whole month to read the chosen book and we get to discuss what we thought during the following month.

Impact

V.I.P.
I had in the past actually considered starting something like this up, so great idea. I'd definitely be interested.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
Interested! But I have exams through January so I won't be doing any leisure reading until they are over.

Loyal-Friend

Registered Member
Okay, I'm going to give a choice of 5 books each month.

For January the choices are:

Nemesis - by Jo Nesbo, Don Bartlett (Crime/thriller/mystery)

The Painted Man - by Peter V Brett (Fantasy)

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - by Douglas Adams (Comedy)

Immortal - by Lauren Burd (Romance)

Mech (Imperium Series) by B V Larson (Sci-Fi)

The book with the most votes will be the read for January. Just post which one you'd like to read.
------
Interested! But I have exams through January so I won't be doing any leisure reading until they are over.

I hope you'll join for the February read. :)

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
I actually just got a Nook for christmas yesterday so you can count me in. Though, I don't have a problem reading just about anything but I'm only randomly active on here. I'll try to make it a point to post what I think about the books, though.

Also, not that I don't trust that you have a large assortment of books that you're going to choose from, but I'd like to have something more of an assortment or a choice in what we read. Or something like, we all just start thinking of a genre about the middle of the month, to read for the following month, and you just post a bunch of different books in that genre.

I just think that with such a wide range of genres it's too hard of a choice of what I want to read.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Are these new titles Loyal?

I'm not much of a novel reader, but I'll gladly join in when my local library has the book. And that's only possible if it has been translated into Dutch already.

Well, I'll see. I suppose it is no problem if we only join in when the book interests us / can get access to it / have free time?

Other than that, it's a cool idea :)

shelgarr

Registered Member
I'm interested. How will the meetings be held? And when?

Of the books you listed, the genres were challenging. I think I must read a lot of "drama"....or I'm not sure how to categorize them. Anyway, my choice would be "Nemesis" and it looks as though I can find it at the library.

Loyal-Friend

Registered Member
@Hiei: I just chose these titles to start us off quickly. Not much time left. But it will be more democratic next month. We can then agree on a genre and then nominate our own choices. I have a kindle so I can browse titles at will.

@Bjarki: I'll try not to pick brand new titles so that those that use libraries get a chance to get hold of a copy. Feel free to read when you wish, if there's one you really don't want to then you can sit it out.

@Shelgarr: The discussion for January's book will be held for the first half of Feb and so on. The second half of the month will hold the next month nominations for genre and title.

How does that sound everyone?

So far Nemesis has one vote.

Bjarki

Registered Member
Sounds good to me :)

edit: just checked, Nemesis costs 10 euro's over here. Even if the library doesn't have it, I'll just buy it.. I can afford that.

Last edited:

Hiei

The Hierophant
Nemesis sounds like a good book to me.