• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GF Book Club: May 2013 Discussion of The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
As you can see, this thread is for the discussion of our May 2013 pick, The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl. So that readers can come in and view this thread, I ask that you post what chapter you are in the book, and then put your thoughts, speculations, ideas, etc into a spoiler. That way, people who are reading in the same place or have passed that place can open your spoiler without fear of finding out something they had not yet read.

You are welcome to discuss anything regarding the book here, including progress reports on where you currently are (although this is not necessary).

Here is a list of questions regarding the book that you may answer to induce discussion, if you wish.

1. How interested were you? Were you able to jump in right away? Was it a page turner? Or did it never draw your interest and was difficult to read?

2. Did you find the characters seemingly real and believable? Were there any that were your favorites, or any that you despised? Who and Why?

3. Were you able to predict who the murderer was? What tipped you off? Did you think the murderer was going to turn out to be someone different?

4. Was the ending satisfying? Would you change it in any way? If so, how would you have liked it to end?

5. How would you rate this book on a scale of 1 to 5? 1 = hated it / 2 = didn't really like it / 3 = it was ok / 4 = it was pretty good / 5 = freaking awesome

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
Anyone started reading this yet? The first 2-3 chapters were hard for me to get into, but now it's really started to pick up and I'm getting interested in it.

This spoiler contains info through CHAPTER FIVE
I hated drudging through the setup of this book. It just seemed so boring, but after Reverend Talbot's death it really started getting interesting. I'm very interested to see how far this goes since The Dante Club knows what the murders are imitating, but have decided not to share the info with the police since they would be prime suspects. I bet one of The Dante Club is the killer...but that would be predictable so maybe not.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
I read some today, just on the walk to/from work, so I won't read your spoiler yet.

But yeah, started. :)

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm really getting into this book now. I'm not reading it as fast as I have others as it had a slow start for me. And then my nook got updated with google play so I've been catching up on my gaming magazines. :S

This spoiler contains info through CHAPTER TEN
I laughed when Dr. Holmes was digging head first in the crypt, where Reverand Talbot's body was found. Just the image of...(I really can't remember who held his feet. Unfortunately I often get the Dante Club members mixed up. It was either Longfellow or Lowell)...Dr. Holmes upside down kicking his feet in the air gave me giggles.

It sure seems like Rey is getting closer to understanding what is going on That character really is amazing. All of the oppression he suffers for being a black policeman is astounding.

I was shocked at the flesh eating blowfly maggots. I didn't imagine a type of maggot that fed on live flesh. I feel so sorry for Healey dying in such a way.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm going to Kansas City this weekend and I'll be packing the book. Hopefully I can find a little time to get started, but I'm only staying for one night. I'd better get going soon lol.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
I'm going to Kansas City this weekend and I'll be packing the book. Hopefully I can find a little time to get started, but I'm only staying for one night. I'd better get going soon lol.
Yeah man, it's your pick so you better read it!

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
This has been slow going for me, but I should finish this by the end of the day.

Rebeccaaa

yellow 4!
slow? are you serious? :lol: I'm going snail's pace then.... it's been hardish this past week finding time to read although I am liking the book.

AnitaKnapp

It's not me, it's you.
V.I.P.
slow? are you serious? :lol: I'm going snail's pace then.... it's been hardish this past week finding time to read although I am liking the book.
It's not my usual genre. I don't really like murder mysteries, but I did vote for this book because it sounded interesting. And it is...I'm just reading slow because it's not my thing. Normally a book this size would have been completed in 3 days, and I am on day 13, so it feels slow to me. lol
------
I just finished this book during my lunch break at work.

My spoiler contains info through the end of the book. I am answering the questions in the OP.
1. How interested were you? Were you able to jump in right away? Was it a page turner? Or did it never draw your interest and was difficult to read?
-I found this book difficult to read. The setup of the characters wasn't easy for me to get through, and while it was very interesting, it just wasn't my usual type of book that I like to read. I usually avoid all crime and mystery type novels. There are very few that can garner my interest.

2. Did you find the characters seemingly real and believable? Were there any that were your favorites, or any that you despised? Who and Why?
-I'm sort of indifferent to the characters. I guess they seemed real and believable. I did not really have any characters that I loved or hated.

3. Were you able to predict who the murderer was? What tipped you off? Did you think the murderer was going to turn out to be someone different?
-I had no idea who the murderer was. I was hoping it would be someone sensational, like Holmes' son Wendy...or Manning.

4. Was the ending satisfying? Would you change it in any way? If so, how would you have liked it to end?
-Like #3, I would have liked the killer to be someone a little more present in the book. The actual killer was so far below the radar I would never have guessed him. He was like a very small secondary character, until the last chapter.

5. How would you rate this book on a scale of 1 to 5? 1 = hated it / 2 = didn't really like it / 3 = it was ok / 4 = it was pretty good / 5 = freaking awesome
-I rate this book a 2. It wasn't that I didn't like it...it's just that I usually read 2-5 books a week, and it took me almost 2 weeks to finish this one. I didn't look forward to finding out what happened.

Last edited:

Elanor

Registered Member
I am only on chapter 3! Have been reading when I can, so far I am interested, and looking forward to the story picking up a bit.

I am going on a week long holiday this Saturday, so will use the time to get into the book properly. Will then contribute properly when I get back.