Getting to sleep...some methods you use.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Smelnick, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Smelnick

Smelnick Creeping On You V.I.P.

Some nights, I just can't get to sleep. I toss and turn and roll and get up and lay down and do everything. Eventually, I have to turn on a movie or some show. After watching that for half an hour or so, I drop right off into slumber land. Also, if I have a beer, or a drink before bed, that usuallyhelps me drift right off too.

How often do you have nights where you can't get to sleep? What kind of remedies do you use? Lets hear it folks. Discuss as they like to say.

2. Iris

Iris rainbow 11!

I really don't have any. I am a firm believer that if I try hard enough I will fall asleep. Eventually I do. Haha like last night, I kept tossing and turning, eventually I was able to overcome it and sleep

3. Cait

Cait Oh, poppycock.

I don't know, I just do. I talk to my boyfriend or someone on the phone and it makes me sleepy. Once I'm off I just lay there until I find a really comfy spot and just fall asleep.

4. Rebeccaaa

Rebeccaaa yellow 4!

I have trouble sleeping just about every night. I usually don't fight it and instead sit here on the computer, much like i'm doing now (oh hey its almost 3am here, how appropriate :laugh:)

However, if the reason I can't sleep is because I'm thinking/worrying far too much (sometimes my mind seems as though its running at a million mph when I'm trying to sleep) then I find it helps if I listen to my iPod in bed. Some Dire Straits songs are perfect for falling asleep to, i.e 'why worry', or 'your latest trick.'

5. Impact

Impact Registered Member V.I.P. Lifetime

I have nights that I can't get to sleep quite often. And they're never just one offs, they seem to come in groups.

I try to think of something other than sleep and then I find I can drift off quite quickly. But if i'm lying there thinking about how tired I am, or how I need to get a goodnights sleep, then i'll lie there for ages. So, try thinking about anything but sleep. Easier said than done, trust me.

Sleeping Pills work wonders, but I wouldn't recommend tham if you have to be up early the next day.

I can't sleep if i've just had one drink that night. My body is so used to staying up for ages after the first drink that it doesn't get tired. I have to have quite afew too many for booze to put me to sleep.

6. ancredelamour

ancredelamour Registered Member

I can never sleep well. I go through spouts were I sleep an average of 3-4 hours at a time for months! And then all of a sudden I sleep every chance I get for as long as I can! Like 12-14 hours every night for months!
    When I can't sleep, I try a number of things...

-listening to music quietly, and i dance wildly while laying in my bed, eventually i get so tired out i can't do it anymore and pass out
    -smoke a joint
    -a teaspoon of honey, sometimes it helps me sleep well and have really sweet dreams
    -warm milk with vanilla
    -a hot bath right before bed
    -valerian root tea
    -read the bible [sad but true, it puts me right out]
    -see how long i can keep my eyes wide open without blinking

Smelnick likes this.
  7. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Counting sheep actually did it once. No word of a lie.

Otherwise, usually I lay on my back and get angry at myself for thinking about sleeping too much --> I go through periods where I have no trouble sleeping at all, to periods of sometimes tossing and turning for hours.

8. Merc

Merc Certified Shitlord V.I.P. Lifetime

I remember having to read Grapes of Wrath and just the thought of it tends to make my lids heavy. I'm really not joking. Also, listening to soft music often helps me.

9. PretzelCorps

PretzelCorps Registered Member

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention --> On my DS, Brain Age 2 has this "relaxing game" that I play sometimes if I can't sleep; it actually does make me feel more relaxed!

Basically, the game is a complete ripoff of Dr. Mario.

Thus, the moral of the story is if you can't sleep, play some Dr. Mario to relax your brain first. :nod:

10. dDave

dDave Guardian of the Light V.I.P.

When I really can's sleep I just lay there.

Sometimes I might try just stretching out completely, another great thing to do is to tense up every muscle in your body and then just let go, it's very relaxing.

And if all else fails I have several laying positions that I find quite comfortable, I'll just shift through them until eventually I'll fall asleep.