Getting Comics CGC Graded?

Discussion in 'Books & Comics' started by Mirage, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Mirage

Mirage Administrator Staff Member V.I.P.

This is mostly a question for Nightsurfer but if anybody else knows please feel free to comment.

I bought some Spiderman comics a while back. They are in Near Mint to Mint condition, bagged and boarded. Never been read.

One of them is Spiderman #1 (Not to be confused with The Amazing Spiderman #1), which I recently found on eBay for over $1,000 with a 9.8 CGC grading.

I am pretty sure mine would get a similar rating (based on my untrained eye) but how can I know for sure?

Take a look at this:

Spider-Man Platinum Edition #1 CGC 9.8 Todd McFarlane - eBay (item 270350478293 end time Mar-28-09 11:17:49 PDT)

If I had a comic worth that much I'd want to know! I don't even think I would sell it either. I am a Spidey fan and I think having a valuable Spidey comic would be pretty cool.

2. icegoat63

icegoat63 Son of Liberty V.I.P. Lifetime

All I know from my own personal experience is that there is a lot of weight on first editions and releases. More often than not you can find that same Spiderman #1 (the Famous McFarlane one) on ebay for less than 5 bucks. Those are usually the reprints which obviously are not near worth as much as the others.

I myself have quite a collection of bagged & boarded comics can cards that I really should go get graded. Just another one of those things on my to do list!

3. Nightsurfer

Nightsurfer ~Lucky 13 strikes again~

The comic grading is partly a scam to juke collectors out of their money. You have to send your comics in to have them graded and then they put them in air tight blister packs so they can never be touched or read again.

I would only have extremely valuable comics graded, and by Valuable i mean the Golden age and silver age comics. I would not pay to have a Bronze or moddern age comic graded.

Now here is a thing to remember. Just because they grade your comics at mint or better and give you a price and a COA for the comic the price is mostly for ins purposes.
    I have not been a fan of the new grading system because there is no way to get a 100% grade on the comic even if you snagged it off the line right after printing. The only thing I do find good about it is the Blister packs, they do protect your comics and keep them safer than Bagged and Backed, but you can order your own Blister packs from eBay or through the N.I.C.E News.

4. Mirage

Do you think the Spiderman #1 that I mentioned in the OP would be worth having graded? I have one of those that (at least to me) appears to be in pristine condition. No folds, wrinkles, bends that I can see. No torn or bent pages, faded colors, etc.

5. Nightsurfer

I would just keep them Bagged and backed and in a safer place for now there is no telling how long the new CGC and blisters are going to last. Oh yeah it can cost 50.00 to 150 to have it graded.
    I know what comic you are talking about and I have 10 of them plus the Variant covers too all first printing.

I would just hold off for a while and see where the trend is heading.

6. icegoat63

I mean obviously you'll know about this more than I would, but I've been following the Sports Card part of it for quite some time (close to 10 years now) and it seems that the Grading + Blister Packs are the only way you'll get to sell your stuff on Ebay for a mind-blowing amount.

I literally saw Sidney Crosby Rookie Cards get sent off and graded then sold on ebay for 7-800 dollars within the first week of Printing, but the same non-graded card hardly pulls in $50.

So for someone like me who doesnt have an outlet to sell comics through, is the Grading still not a good idea? I mean I have looked at the prices and it is very steep like you said, the Quote I'd gotten 3-4 years ago was $30 to start and $15 per additional card plus shipping both ways. I didnt do it because I literally had about 50 some odd cards I wanted to get graded and no where near that kind of money.

:hah: in a sense I've actually been hoping to hear someone like you say that the grading will go out of style soon hahahaha, you're my ray of sunshine as always Night.

7. Nightsurfer

I don't know too much about the Sports card collectors world but the CGC is meeting some major resistance from the comic collectors world. Most of us think it's a scam and a waste of money.

I would only advise you get your stuff graded only if you know for sure that it is worth big bucks. I have seen some comics sell higher without the grade than with it, due to the fact that a true comic collector collects for the joy of reading the comic not the value. The value is just a perk.

Like I have told several others in the past, just because the collectible such as sports card, comic, classic toy or a movie prop are valued at a certain price doesn't mean you will get that listed price in a private sale or Auction. It's all up to the individual collector to decide if it's worth it or not, and if you are trying to get into this to make money you will lose your shirt. Trust me. You should only collect for the love not the money otherwise you will be stuck with a bunch of stuff that nobody wants or is buying.

icegoat63 likes this.
  8. icegoat63

No truer words have ever been spoken....

Im by no means trying to turn a buck. I've never sold any of my collected items to date and quite frankly dont have any plans to. I'm the kinda rat packer that likes to keep my stuff with the intention of passing it down to my kids in hopes they'll appreciate it as much as I did!

Im fully behind the comic side of it when it comes to purchasing the comic for the sake of reading & enjoying it. Always felt it was idiotic to spend 2-3,000 bucks on a comic that you'll never be able to crack open because its forever sealed in the Hard Plastic Case attached to a placard :hah:

Seriously though, I need to get my head back out from underneath a rock or something. I actually felt almost as if I was alone with that opinion!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  9. Mirage

Definitely. I don't plan on selling them anyway but I thought it would be cool to at least know if they were worth anything. Maybe I'd put them in a frame on the wall or something to showcase my one collectible comic. :lol:

There's just something cooler about knowing that something you have is worth a lot more than you paid for it. Then again there's always the risk of getting it back and they say "Nope, not really anything special". Ignorance is bliss? I'm not sure. Sometimes I just like to know. :D

10. icegoat63

oh man that would be the dumps wouldn't it!

This is kinda funny you mention the displaying of them to... that was actually the other reason I didnt finally get all my cards graded. Right now I've got them in my standard plastic binder sleeves. Obviously they are protected, its a padded metal binder with probably 100-150 of these sleeves that hold 9 cards each (one way).

If I were to get them graded... oh man that Hard Plastic Case they come back in is what like half an inch maybe quarter inch thick? They'd be bulky and harder to show off, storage would almost quintuple in the amount of space I'd need... it'd be just an otherwise mess. But the main drive that interested me in getting them graded was just the thought of "I've got 6 Near Mint Martin Brodeur Rookie Cards.... these things graded go for over $500 bucks apiece on ebay... what do I need all 6 for!".