Gerald Ford vs Ronald Reagan

Discussion in 'Politics & Law' started by Babe_Ruth, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Babe_Ruth

Babe_Ruth Sultan of Swat Staff Member V.I.P.

Alright I've decided to start this thing. I believe it can garner a lot of attention from our members here at GF.

The first two Presidents that face off against each other are Gerald Ford vs Ronald Reagan.

What are the pro's and cons of these two Presidents, and who do you believe did a better?

Remember to respect everyone's opinions, no one is right or wrong.

2. MenInTights

MenInTights not a plastic bag

Gerald Ford is really nothing more than a placeholder in history. Besides pardon Nixon, I can't think of a single thing the guy did? Not a horrible President, just an almost invisible one.

Reagan on the other hand, I personally consider one of the greatest of all time. Drastic discretionary spending cuts. This is the only graph I could find, but it highlights the 1st 3 years in office:
    [​IMG]

Even more importantly, he won the Cold War. A battle we had been engaged in for 40 years.

I really think more than anything Reagan remains an incredible motivator. I pull up speeches from Reagan on youtube on occasion and they sound as fresh today as they did 20 or 30 years ago. I loved Reagan. Unfortunately, he's the standard I base every politician on and unfortunately, I'm always disappointed by the inability of anyone coming close to the man.
    ------
    This article highlights the spending cuts of Reagan:
    AEI - Papers

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009