• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Gephyrophobia

Doc

Trust me, I'm The Doctor.
V.I.P.
I don't do so well with heights, either. I get the most nervous over long bridges. After I got on this little monster I looked over to the side and kind of freaked out a little because I didn't know what I was crossing until it was too late:

I always get nervous over the Chesapeake Bay bridge, too. That sucker is long.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
When we came back over the Mackinaw Bridge on new years day we had to wait for over two hours as it was closed due to high winds (50+ mph). A truck pulling a snowmobile trailer had the trailer blown on it's side earlier in the day. When we were finally allowed to cross no semis or vehicles pulling trailers were being allowed to cross. I have a FJ Cruiser (high profile vehicle) now and we had a car top carrier. We got blown around a bit. I wasn't scared, but it was a little nerve wracking.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
Yeah, every time I cross it I think of that poor lady in the Yugo getting blown off of it.

SmilinSilhouette

Registered Member
You go nao! :lol:

My high school friend's mom refuses to cross it. They wouldn't come to our wedding because of it :lol:

Major

4 legs good 2 legs bad
V.I.P.
I always get nervous over the Chesapeake Bay bridge, too. That sucker is long.
My dad always gets really nervous driving over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. He's not good with heights at all, so I've had to drive over the bridge for him several times. Some people are like that with tunnels as well.

As for me, I have no fear of heights or bridges or anything. In fact, I love heights and the adrenaline rush that I get the higher up I am. Maybe that's why I love rock climbing and scrambling up mountain peaks.

Last edited:

Dekzper

Registered Member
Some people are like that with tunnels as well.
As for me, I have no fear of heights or bridges or anything. In fact, I love heights and the adrenaline rush that I get the higher up I am. Maybe that's why I lock rock climbing and scrambling up mountain peaks.
Exactly, it's not scary. It's just exciting! And that Chesapeake bridge is awesome. :nod: And so are caves and tunnels. Btw, mountain climbing and rappelling are 2 of my fav things to do! Swinging on ropes is an amazing feeling. :D

EllyDicious

made of AMBIGUITY
V.I.P.
I'm not afraid of bridges as long as they are well-built and are not life-risky. It's a bit uncomfortable for me to walk on them but when I drive by car I have no problem.
The only time I get afraid is when I climb long stairs of the bridge and when there's a big distance between the stairs and when there's an open area under the staircase.

idisrsly

I'm serious
V.I.P.
I've never had to drive or walk across a bridge that I thought was too scary to cross. We don't have bridges like you guys do, crossing masses of water. It would at most just be a short bridge over a river. I have driven over a bridge in the UK that caught me off guard and was a little intimidating, but I can't remember what that bridge was called. I didn't hesitate to drive over it at all though.

I've looked up some of the bridges mentioned in this thread and I was going to say that all those look fine to me to drive over, till Chesapeake bridge was mentioned. Holy crap. I honestly don't know if I could cross that bridge. I probably could, but I might drive off of it due to my legs shaking uncontrollably. I am petrified of heights and that bridge will give me nightmares tonight, no doubt.

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
I've never had to drive or walk across a bridge that I thought was too scary to cross. We don't have bridges like you guys do, crossing masses of water. It would at most just be a short bridge over a river. I have driven over a bridge in the UK that caught me off guard and was a little intimidating, but I can't remember what that bridge was called. I didn't hesitate to drive over it at all though.

I've looked up some of the bridges mentioned in this thread and I was going to say that all those look fine to me to drive over, till Chesapeake bridge was mentioned. Holy crap. I honestly don't know if I could cross that bridge. I probably could, but I might drive off of it due to my legs shaking uncontrollably. I am petrified of heights and that bridge will give me nightmares tonight, no doubt.
The Mackinac bridge is higher than the Chesapeake Bay bridge. It's 200 feet above the water

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
We don't have any big bridges like the Golden Gate bridge, but when I was younger I used to walk on a bridge that had small holes in them, nothing big but enough to realize that they were there. I was scared to walk on that bridge, I haven't gone through that bridge in years, but I doubt I would have any fear at my current age.

Other than that, I''ve never really been afraid of them actually, sometimes I enjoy passing on them, since you get a nice scenery from time to time.