• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Georgia man shoots lost young man in the head

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
A 69-year-old war veteran and former missionary was arrested over the weekend on the suspicion of killing a 22-year-old Cuban immigrant who mistakenly arrived in his driveway because of faulty GPS directions.

Gwinnett County jail records obtained by The Atlanta Journal Constitution indicated that Phillip Walker Sailors was charged on Sunday with the murder of Rodrigo Abad Diaz.

Friends who were in the car with Diaz told WSB-TV that they were trying to pick up a friend on the way to ice skating on Saturday but their GPS directed them to the wrong address. The friends said that they waited in the driveway for a few minutes before Sailors emerged from the house and fired a gun into the air.

Gandy Cardenas, who was in the car, recalled to WAGA that the homeowner made no effort to speak to the group before opening fire.

“He didn’t talk to them, he just started shooting,” Cardenas explained. “The first shot was in the air.”

At that point, Diaz tried to turn the car around to leave, but Sailors fired another shot, striking the immigrant on the left side of the head. The group, which included a 15 and an 18 year old, said that Sailors held them at gunpoint until police arrived.

The arrest warrant suggested that Sailors had shot Diaz with a .22 caliber pistol. He was charged with malice murder.

WSB-TV’s Tony Thomas reported that Sailors was a war veteran and a former church missionary.
Raw Story (Georgia man guns down immigrant after GPS sends him to wrong driveway | The Raw Story)

I don't get it. Why would your first reaction be to shoot at them? I'm going to assume the verdict is going to be something along the lines of 'crazy old guy' but shit, a car full of kids and your first thought is to blow the driver's face off?

I'm also not too sure why they need to mention 'immigrant' in the article though. I mean if it turns out the guy shot because he thought the man was an illegal or something then yeah but damnit Raw Story.

CaptainObvious

Embrace the Suck
V.I.P.
I don't get it either, why would his first reaction be to shoot first in the air then at a vehicle that is leaving? I'm assuming they're mentioning immigrant to add to the possibility he was afraid of "the bad dark illegal looking guy" which for all we know may be true. Lord knows the media likes to portray us minorities as scary looking. For all we know this guy bought into that fear.

Hilander

Free Spirit
Staff member
V.I.P.
I have to wonder if there is more to the story than is being told because we are only hearing the people in the cars side of events. It may of happened just the way they said and the man is off his rocker. I just know I wouldn't shoot someone just for pulling in my driveway I don't care where they came from or their race.

oxyMORON

A Darker Knight
First shot in the air seems somewhat reasonable to me, if he was going to shoot at all. But then you have to let them get away because they clearly got the point...

I thought those "get off my property" people only existed in the movies, but I guess there might actually be people like that. Malice murder seems pretty suitable. The article made it seem like he was just pissed off at random strangers at his house.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree with Oxy when he says shooting in the air first is the right move but then you don't shoot at them if they are turning to leave your property.

It does seem like some facts are missing here. Unless it is just a case of a paranoid old man who thought his life was in danger when it clearly wasn't.