• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

George Washington owes $324,000 in library fines

Blake02

Registered Member
Librarians in New York's oldest library have uncovered a surprising book thief.

Apparently, George Washington, the first president of the United States of America, borrowed two books from the New York Society Library in 1789 but failed to return them.

Adjusted for inflation, the former president now owes more than $US300,000 in late fees.

On October 5, 1789, the first president borrowed two books from what was then the only library in Manhattan: Law of Nations, a dissertation on international relations, and a volume of debate transcripts from Britain's House of Commons.

George Washington did not even bother to sign his name in the borrower's ledger; an aide simply scrawled "president" next to the title to show who had taken them out.

Perhaps not wanting to add to the US government's already hefty deficit, the New York Society Library says it will not pursue the fine.

It would simply like the books back.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I’m sure Bookman from Seinfeld is working hard on the case.

But on a serious note, I find this pretty interesting but useless at the same time. I don’t understand how it took them this long to realize he hasn’t "returned" his book.

Blake02

Registered Member
I’m sure Bookman from Seinfeld is working hard on the case.

But on a serious note, I find this pretty interesting but useless at the same time. I don’t understand how it took them this long to realize he hasn’t "returned" his book.
I imagine you're right!

I seriously do not understand it either, you would expect it to be pretty obvious, even back then. I guess as he was the President and all they didn't want to bother him, and now perhaps the library just wants some attention.

Wade8813

Registered Member
Wait - some unknown person wrote "president", and we just assume it really was the president?

Wade8813

Registered Member
Eh, they're librarians. It probably took them 2 minutes to figure it out.