• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

George Steinbrenner dead at 80: reports

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
George Steinbrenner dead at 80: reports

Just speechless right now...if reports are true this is a sad day in baseball.

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Steinbrenner family.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm going to bite my tongue right now because the man just died.

RIP.

Merc

Problematic Shitlord
V.I.P.
It's all over ESPN.com right now, I'm assuming it's true.

I'm not going to split hairs: never liked the man once during his life, but I wouldn't have hoped for his death. I wish his family the best.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
I actually remember back in the late 90's/early 2000's saying that if he died the world would be a better place as a result. It was pretty harsh but at the time it's how I felt. It was probably a poor choice of words.

I hated the man with a passion. I understood what he was doing...he wanted to win but there is no man I've hated more in sports than George Steinbrenner.

With that said, I pray for his family. He was a human being, afterall.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's funny that the first three people that replied are Cards, Red Sox and Dodgers fans. The reason I say that because all those teams were once fierce rivals with the Yankees(the Red Sox are still are)

The Cardinals back in the 20's when they faced each other in the World Series a few times.

Back when the Dodgers were known as the Brooklyn Dodgers had a few battles with the mighty Yankees.

I don't believe I need to explain the Red Sox/Yankees rivalry.

For me as a Jays fan, there hasn't really been a huge rivalry. There were a few incidents here and there with A-Rod, and bench clearing "brawl" but nothing huge.

Tucker

Lion Rampant
I despised Billy Martin more than Steinbrenner, but both had a sickening way of winning more than their fair share and I was never a fan. In baseball, of course, that kind of animosity is a compliment.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
But the thing is, Babe, we've faced the Yankees three times since I started watching baseball. The Cardinals, from my point of view, have no rivalry with those clowns. It was about him out spending everyone, being annoying, and attempting to destroy baseball without even knowing it.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I was just making an observation Millz, it's nothing about the Cardinals not being able to compete with the Yankees. I just thought it was interesting because the history is there between your favorite teams and the Yankees. I thought it was kind of cool.

Tucker, why do you hate Martin? I personally thought it was a good coach. I know he had a few problems, especially with alcohol but when it came to coaching baseball, I thought he was pretty good at it. His relationship with George wasn't so hot though.

Millz

Better Call Saul
Staff member
V.I.P.
Oh, er, well, then nevermind, haha.

I wonder how George will be perceived by most people down the road. I mean, when I think of him I only think negative thoughts. I'm sure there are alot of people who get past that and recognize he won 7 championships.