• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

George Michael dead at 53.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This one really hurts. There was Michael Jackson, then it was George Michael. I've sang along to his songs so many times. My friend who is a much bigger fan than me called me to tell me the news and I was heart broken. I just arrived home from Christmas festivities, I will be spending the rest of my night listening to George Michael songs.

Rest easy, George.

hepismis

Registered Member
RIP to a man who wasn't much older than me when he left us. In a year filled with the deaths of talented and capable people, I hope this is the last such death.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Somewhere, there is footage of me dancing in a bed to Wake Me Up Before You Go Go with a Burger King crown on my head. Damn college English project.

(And you won't pay me enough money for you to see that footage while I'm alive.)

Losing so many talented human beings in the span of one year is heartbreaking.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
George Michael himself said that a big reason why he stayed in the closet for so long was because he knew his own mother would be worried to death about him catching AIDS.

I always found that fascinating.

EdgeHead

Registered Member
Fascinating, yes, but at the same time, I guess this goes along with the mentalities & preconceptions of people back then, especially in the 80s. AIDS was scary enough and her mother could only presume the worse about George Michael's lifestyle. I don't know if today she would have the same misconception about life as a gay but in hindsight, I don't blame him for doing what he did.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
It's ironic that the famous singer of "Last Christmas..." would pass away on Christmas. Loved his solo album too. My fave song is Kissing a Fool.‎

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
It's ironic that the famous singer of "Last Christmas..." would pass away on Christmas. Loved his solo album too. My fave song is Kissing a Fool.‎
Kissing a Fool is a really good song of his. I've been listening to him non-stop since his passing(been listening to him for the last decade or so, too.)

Pretty incredible that he wrote Careless Whisper when he was 17.

Powerful

Registered Member
The genre can be mocked, even ignored by some. But what he did for that genre was Hall of Fame worthy.

Rest in power, Mr. Michael.