• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

Movies George Lucas' movie ideals

HappyFace

Registered Member
I'm paraphrasing here and I may be wrong but I believe it was George Clucas who said "movies are never finished, they're only abandoned"

What I'm trying to say here is what your thoughts are on this.

I for one think it's a horrible ideal for artwork some things should just be left the way they are.

ysabel

/ˈɪzəˌbɛl/ pink 5
What movies did he make aside from Star Wars and Indiana Jones? I have only seen Star Wars series but I've heard good things about Indiana Jones. I just never got into watching it.

Oh and I don't fully get what the phrase means. :hah:

DLFerguson

Registered Member
What movies did he make aside from Star Wars and Indiana Jones? I have only seen Star Wars series but I've heard good things about Indiana Jones. I just never got into watching it.

Oh and I don't fully get what the phrase means. :hah:
His first big hit was AMERICAN GRAFFITTI which I've always thought was as dull as dishwater. I like THX 1138 only slightly better. If you ever watch those two movies I think they reinforce my case that Lucas isn't a good director at all.

I know he was also involved with WILLOW and HOWARD THE DUCK but I believe he was just the writer/producer on those and didn't direct them.

Italiano

Film Elitist
His first big hit was AMERICAN GRAFFITTI which I've always thought was as dull as dishwater. I like THX 1138 only slightly better. If you ever watch those two movies I think they reinforce my case that Lucas isn't a good director at all.

I know he was also involved with WILLOW and HOWARD THE DUCK but I believe he was just the writer/producer on those and didn't direct them.
I liked "American Graffiti" much better than "THX 1138". I felt that "THX 1138" was the dull one of the bunch. So bland and boring to look at. At least "American Graffiti" had some color.

However yes, Lucas is an incompetent director. As discussed in the other Star Wars thread his main concern is how a movie looks rather than the acting or the importance of a good story.

That's why the new Indiana Jones was awful. He writes from strictly the visual perspective trying convey a story with luscious images but with sloppy dialogue and a second draft story.

DLFerguson

Registered Member
I liked "American Graffiti" much better than "THX 1138". I felt that "THX 1138" was the dull one of the bunch. So bland and boring to look at. At least "American Graffiti" had some color.

However yes, Lucas is an incompetent director. As discussed in the other Star Wars thread his main concern is how a movie looks rather than the acting or the importance of a good story.

That's why the new Indiana Jones was awful. He writes from strictly the visual perspective trying convey a story with luscious images but with sloppy dialogue and a second draft story.
AMERICAN GRAFFITI is often credited with starting the 50's/60's media wave of nostalgia in the 70's but I think its more notable for the actors in it who went on to bigger things. Ron Howard, Charles Martin Smith, Cindy Williams, Richard Dreyfus and Harrison Ford. I think Suzanne Somers is in the movie as well but don't quote me on that.

Have you seen the Director's Cut of THX 1138? George Lucas used tons of CGI to extensively modify and add a lot to the movie. It's a lot more colorful now and as far as I'm concerned, there's enough new stuff addded to qualify this almost as a remake and just not a restoration of an existing film.

Italiano

Film Elitist
Have you seen the Director's Cut of THX 1138? George Lucas used tons of CGI to extensively modify and add a lot to the movie. It's a lot more colorful now and as far as I'm concerned, there's enough new stuff addded to qualify this almost as a remake and just not a restoration of an existing film.
Heh, yeah I own it. Even with the CGI and color rendering it's still a boring movie. At least "Logan's Run" had some build up in it's progression. Visuals aside "THX 1138" is one of the dullest movies and most anti-climatic films I've ever seen.

I will however say that the extras on the DVD and documentary footage on the making of the film and what it led to are fascinating. I especially like the documentary footage about everyone getting their head shaved.