Genetics and Homosexuality

Discussion in 'Science & History' started by oxyMORON, May 13, 2008.

1. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

Do you think homosexuality is fixed by genetics or by things that happen once we're born or a mixture of both?

Personally, I think genetics has a lot to do with it because I can't imagine how a person could manually choose their orientation. I guess the mind is a powerful thing if it has the ability to convince yourself to change or follow a certain sexual preference.

I couldn't really find any articles that supported genetics, though. There's still a lot of speculation.

kiwi likes this.

2. 6footninja

6footninja Registered Member

Ive seen homosexuals say if they could be straight, they would. Ive thought of it as majorly genetically influenced if not completely genetics. I mean seriously, who in their right mind would choose to be something so many people look down apon, and even worse if you are around religious people often, just being reminded that according to Christians you are damned to hell. Not that I believe that's true, but ill keep religious speak for religious matters.

Phoenix likes this.
  3. R1pperZ

R1pperZ Registered Member

I would have no evidence or knowledge to support my theory..

But it has to have something to do with how someone develops as a child. I can't think of how some one's sexual preference can have anything to do with genetics. Just how each of us have our own taste in the opposite of sex, maybe that would have something to do with homosexuality itself.

kiwi likes this.
  4. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

I don't think it's genetic at all, but that doesn't mean it's a choice either. I agree with R1pperZ, I think what one experiences as a child can have a big influence on his or her sexuality.

5. oxyMORON

oxyMORON A Darker Knight

So would you say that a guy that went to an all boys school from elementary to high school would have a higher chance of being gay? I'd be pretty surprised if that was true.

6. R1pperZ

I'd say that would make him run out of this all boy's school panting and praying for a female..
    :lol:

What I was stating would be more in their younger years, maybe they were around a lot of nasty women as a baby and forced sexually as a kid?
    :-/

I have no idea but if what your saying is true then we can pinpoint and destroy this "gay" gene and eliminate homosexuality for good, no fence to anyone that is homosexual but obviously it can be argued that homosexuality only gets in the way since it is not in the nature of animals to waist sexual stamina on the same of sex.

kiwi likes this.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix Fee-nix

We studied this in AP psychology. There have been twin studies that have shown evidence that there is a correlation between homosexuality and genetics. There is also evidence that environmental factors come in to play.
    This is no different than any other trait, though. Most traits are influenced both by nature and nurture. Your DNA could say that you will be a specific height when you are an adult, but if you have a hormone deficiency (or just drink lots of coffee), that will be altered.
    So I think that there are influences from both ends, but as it says in my psych text book, if you are gay, it is extremely hard to be strait, and vice versa.
    I'm also a believer in the spectrum theory- that there isn't just gay, bi, and straight. Rather, there is a spectrum of sexuality, and that people vary as to where they hit that spectrum.

Major likes this.
  8. ExpectantlyIronic

ExpectantlyIronic e̳̳̺͕ͬ̓̑̂ͮͦͣ͒͒h̙ͦ̔͂?̅̂ ̾͗̑

It obviously is natural behavior, since it happens. Furthermore, if it does owe only to genetic factors, then there could be absolutely no doubt that it is natural, since nobody has been secretly genetically engineering people to become homosexuals. I highly doubt that homosexuality owes completely to genetic factors, but that's beside the point, which is that homosexuality is clearly and obviously natural.

Last edited: May 13, 2008
    Phoenix likes this.
  9. Major

Major 4 legs good 2 legs bad V.I.P.

So what you're saying is that there's no such thing as unnatural behavior?

10. R1pperZ

Haha disproved in one sentence..

And we are very different than other animals since we can choose our sexuality to an extent, I'm not saying homosexuals chose to be the way they are or that they can "help" it.

We don't act entirely off of instict, but rather use that as a basis of how we choose to react sexually..