• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

PPV Genesis thread - 01/09/11

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
TNA wrestling's Genesis PPV is coming up on the 9th...discuss it here and post your picks when it's time!

The main event at this point is Matt Morgan vs. Mr. Anderson for the #1 contender's spot for Jeff Hardy's Immortal Championship.

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Not to thrilled about this PPV, I just can't believe that the Title is not on the line in this one. Definetly looking foward with the AJ Styles and Douglas Williams match though, it has some great stipulations to it, and it looks like Styles is about to turn face. The booking for this PPV is just god awful. Also it is retarded to have RVD vs a mystery opponent, I mean that is booking for a TV show. This PPV is going to be horrible. Not to mention the main event is a #1 contenders match, big whoop.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm fine with the mystery opponent angle for RVD...looking at the preview, it sounds like he might find out who it is on Thursday. And if not, maybe it'll be a good surprise or a new member of Immortal.

Having Hardy not defend the title sucks, but with Anderson fighting Morgan it helps to make Immortal look more cowardly and in control of how things go in TNA. It'll make the victor's match with Hardy a little more meaningful, as the champ has been pissing off both men for a while now.

MCMG vs. Beer Money will be awesome, I'm sure that will be included in the PPV. Add the mentioned Doug Williams vs. AJ Styles match, and Jay Lethal vs. Kazarian and you've got a stacked undercard.

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Here is the card:
*Rob Van Dam vs. Jeff Hardy’s handpicked opponent.
*Ken Anderson vs. Matt Morgan
*Brother Ray vs. Brother Devon.
*Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle: MMA Exhibition.
*TNA X Division champion Jay Lethal vs. Kazarian.
*TNA TV champion AJ Styles vs. Douglas Williams.
*TNA Knockouts champion Madison Rayne vs. Mickie James

Could be good... could be horrible. I will most likely not be seeing it until the 15th since I am gone on a cruise.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Here is the card:

Could be good... could be horrible. I will most likely not be seeing it until the 15th since I am gone on a cruise.
You might want to wrap spoiler tags around Jarrett's match, as it probably won't be revealed until this Thursday...

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
Darn it KSpice I was looking foward to that announcement. :lol: j/k. I guess I'll go ahead and make my picks: (they will be in bold)

Beer Money vs MCMG

Last edited:

KSpiceFantastic

Haters gonna hate.
Darn it KSpice I was looking foward to that announcement. :lol: j/k. I guess I'll go ahead and make my picks: (they will be in bold)

I'm going with the same picks, I think.

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
I'm going to go with:

Mystery Opponent
Mr. Anderson
Brother Devon
Kazarian
AJ Styles
Mickie James
Kurt Angle
Beer Money

I don't understand why Beer Money isn't getting another shot at the tag titles...I had been picturing Immortal/Fortune coming out of this PPV with all of the Gold.

Last edited:

Unity

Living in Ikoria
Staff member
Well, the PPV is tonight so make your picks if you haven't already!

I forgot to post on Thursday after iMPACT, but Beer Money vs. MCMG was added to the card, so add that to your picks!

I'm going to go with Beer Money, and I'm also going to change one of my picks (I'll edit the post). I think RVD's mystery opponent will beat him...just thinking that it'll be someone surprising that'll screw him over in some way.
------
Alright, the PPV is starting! Good luck on picks and enjoy the show for those that are watching.

Generalblue:

SHOW SPOILER!*Jeff Jarrett vs. Kurt Angle: MMA Exhibition.

Beer Money vs MCMG

KSF:

Same as Generalblue (I'll just give you the Beer Money pick since you're on your cruise living it up! Since Blue picked that one.)

Unity:

Mystery Opponent
Mr. Anderson
Brother Devon
Kazarian
AJ Styles
Mickie James
Kurt Angle
Beer Money

------
*SPOILERS* and Results will be posted below! Turn back now if you still plan on watching the PPV at some point!

Score for this month (I threw out Styles vs. Williams since it ended up being Abyss, who won):

Generalblue: 6
KSF: 6
Unity: 4

Results from Genesis Results and iMPACT Preview :

Results from the Genesis Pay-Per-View event (scroll down for photos)

- Kazarian defeated Jay Lethal to become the new X Division Champion

- Madison Rayne defeated Mickie James to retain the Knockouts Championship, after interference by Tara

- Beer Money defeated The Motor City Machine Guns to become the new Tag Team Champions

- Bully Ray won the Street Fight vs. Brother Devon after the referee disqualified Brother Devon for beating Bully Ray with a chain

- Abyss (subbing for an injured AJ Styles) defeated Douglas Williams to become the new TV Champion. An injured AJ interfered in the bout, hitting Williams with the title and costing him the bout.

- Immortal's Mystery Opponent for Rob Van Dam was none other than Matt Hardy, who made his TNA debut and defeated RVD, thanks to a controversial decision by referee Jackson James

- The MMA Exhibition between Jeff Jarrett and Kurt Angle was thrown out after Jarrett got disqualified. After the bout, Jarrett bloodied Angle and injured him

- Mr. Anderson defeated Matt Morgan to become the #1 contender to the World Championship

- After the bout, Eric Bischoff announced an exhausted Anderson would get his title shot immediately against Jeff Hardy! The bout saw interference by Matt Morgan, Mick Foley, Ric Flair, Matt Hardy and RVD! HOWEVER, in a shocking upset, Anderson beat Hardy to win the TNA World Heavyweight Championship!
--------------------------------------------------------------------
My thoughts:

Needless to say, a couple of big surprises from last night!

I thought the Mystery Opponent would end up being a cop-out choice like Tommy Dreamer (the fans at the PPV thought so too, and chanted his name), but it ended up being none other than "The Wrestler that only Unity is somewhat a fan of" Matt Hardy! It played out pretty well, as backstage Eric Bischoff and RVD were arguing about whether Van Dam could fight Jeff Hardy soon...Bischoff said "You want Hardy tonight? You've GOT Hardy!" Which kind of gave it away to the thinking wrestling fan at that point, but it was pretty awesome to see him debut. Matt's a little off, not in the best shape, and not the greatest in-ring technician of all time. That being said, like E&C and Team 3D, he was a part of my favorite matches/feuds of the attitude era and I'll always be a fan of the Hardys due to loyalty. He's good to his fans and passionate about the business, so I can respect that. Glad to see him back, and glad to see the Hardys reunited.

What can I say, Mr. Anderson is the TNA Champion! I'm a big fan of Immortal/Fortune, but I've been happy for Anderson's success since his TNA debut and I've become a bigger fan than I was in his WWE days (I still was a fan then, but it's like he's stepped up his game). His match with Matt Morgan was a great one, both guys performed really well IMO. Anderson pulling out the win was good, and then Bischoff said that he'd get his match right then and there in an attempt to keep the belt around Jeff Hardy (who came out smoking a cigarette, lmao). Just like with Smackdown this week and Dolph Ziggler's "rematch" against Kofi, I thought that he'd regain the belt right away. Once again, I was shocked as Anderson retained against Jeffro. Not only did the match go longer than expected on my part, but Anderson went over huge...he kicked out of two "Twist of Hates" and even out of the Swanton Bomb when it looked like Hardy had finished him off...pretty nuts! He ended up hitting the Mic Check and picking up the win...we saw members of Immortal/Fortune coming out during the match, Matt hardy involved, Matt Morgan clotheslining Hardy on the outside, and even Mick Foley taking a chair away from Bischoff, I think it was. Pretty chaotic but a lot of fun. I'm definitely happy for Anderson and I hope he has a good reign.

The tag team match was high quality, as usual. TNA's tag division puts on tag match of the year candidates almost every month. I was pulling for Beer Money because I was ready to see Immortal getting all of the power last night, so it was nice to see them win...I'm a huge MCMG match, and I'm a little concerned with how the match ended. Sabin accidentally kicked Shelley in the mouth in the corner after one of Beer Money moved, so hopefully we don't see a McMahon-like tag team breakup. I doubt TNA will do that because of how successful their division is, and because Team 3D has recently broken up. I guess we could see some friction, though.

Kaz and Lethal put on a good match as expected, and Kazarian took the title, as expected.

I was surprised to see Madison Rayne retaining...I like her well enough, but I think Mickie would have won and gone on to feud with Tara as Knockouts Champion. Instead, Tara cost her the title.

Angle/Jarrett was pretty bland in wrestling or MMA, with a few good moves by Angle and Jarrett just getting the DQ for beating him down. It was cool to see Angle back, and he was laughing and having fun taunting Jarrett during the match, pretty much making a fool of him. After the beat down, Jarrett said that he's having an MMA retirement party on iMPACT and that "all three of us will be there." It's been revealed already that Karen Jarrett is going to be there this week..holy shit, haha, awkward much?

Brother Devon vs. Bully Ray was pretty much as expected, not bad but not great. Devon beat him with a fan's shoe, which was pretty funny.

Abyss vs. Williams for the TV Title was entertaining enough, and I give huge props to AJ who came out with an obviously real limp, hit Williams with the title, and collapsed while doing so. But despite obviously being in pain he put it on the line to help tell the story of the match, with Abyss hitting the Black Hole Slam and winning the TV title after. As usual, Williams put on a great match.

That's about it!

Last edited:

generalblue

Where is my Queen?
I didn't get see the show, but from what I heard and read it had some great wrestling. Fatt Hardy returns to rassling, I actually saw that one coming but didn't see him beating RVD, and Immortal has all the titles except for the TNA Championship. It is going to be fun to see what they do next with Mr. Anderson.