GeneralForum's MLB Divisional Series Discussion

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
ALDS Series #1: New York Yankees (95-67) at Minnesota Twins (94-68)

Schedule, Probables, and Results:
Oct 6th, 8:37 EST @ Target Field - Liriano (14-10, 3.62) vs. Sabathia (21-7, 3.18)
Oct 7th, 6:07 EST @ Target Field - Pavano (17-11, 3.75) vs. Pettitte (11-3, 3.28)
Oct 9th, 8:37 EST @ Yankee Stadium - Duensing (10-3, 2.62) vs. Hughes (18-8, 4.19)
Oct 10th, Time TBA @ Yankee Stadium - Blackburn (10-12, 5.42) vs. Sabathia (21-7, 3.18)
Oct 12th, Time TBA @ Target Field - TBD vs. Pettitte (11-3, 3.28)

TV: All games broadcast on TBS (US) and Sportsnet (CAN)

ALDS Series #2: Texas Rangers (90-72) at Tampa Bay Rays (96-66)

Oct 6th, 1:37 EST @ Tropicana Field - TEXAS 5, TAMPA BAY 1 (WP: Lee LP: Price)
Oct 7th, 2:37 EST @ Tropicana Field - Garza (15-10, 3.91) vs. Wilson (15-8, 3.35)
Oct 9th, 5:07 EST @ Ballpark in Arlington - Davis (12-10, 4.07) vs. Lewis (12-13, 3.72)
Oct 10th, Time TBA @ Ballpark in Arlington - Shields (13-15, 5.18) vs. Hunter (13-4, 3.73)
Oct 12th, Time TBA @ Tropicana Field - Price (19-6, 2.72) vs. Lee (12-9, 3.18)

NLDS Series #1: Atlanta Braves (91-71) at San Francisco Giants (92-70)

Oct 7th, 9:37 EST @ AT&T Park - Lincecum (16-10, 3.43) vs. Lowe (16-12, 4.00)
Oct 8th, 9:37 EST @ AT&T Park - Cain (13-11, 3.14) vs. Hanson (10-11, 3.33)
Oct 10th, Time TBA @ Turner Field - Sanchez (13-9, 3.07) vs. Hudson (17-9, 2.83)
Oct 11th, Time TBA @ Turner Field - TBD vs. TBD
Oct 13th, Time TBA @ AT&T Park - TBD vs. TBD

NLDS Series #2: Cincinnati Reds(91-71) at Philadelphia Phillies (97-65)

Oct 6th, 5:07 EST @ Citizens Bank Park - Halladay (21-10, 2.44) vs. Volquez (4-3, 4.31)
Oct 8th, 6:07 EST @ Citizens Bank Park - Oswalt (13-13, 2.76) vs. Arroyo (17-10, 3.88)
Oct 10th, Time TBA @ Great American Ballpark - Hamels (12-11, 3.06) vs. Cueto (12-7, 3.64)
Oct 11th, Time TBA @ Great American Ballpark - TBD vs. TBD
Oct 13th, Time TBA @ Citizens Bank Park - TBD vs. TBD

-----------------
All the dates right now are tentative as MLB has not released the official schedule as of yet. I will also do my best to update this thread each and every day with the box scores and keep all the information correct.

Let the games begin!
------
My Predictions:

Series #1: I think this is the year the Twins finally overtake their playoff rivals. They have home field and I just don't think the Yankees have the pitching at all required to win this series, let alone another title. Minnesota in 4.

Series #2: This is going to be a tight series. Both teams match up really well in my books and it will go five games, but I think the Rays have enough fire power to squeak it out. Tampa Bay in 5.

Series #3: I really like the Braves in the playoffs this year, I think they can give any team in the playoffs a fit. They will extend Bobby Cox's career into the NLCS. Atlanta in 4.

Series #4: I'm cheering for Cincinnati. I really want to see them do well, but Philadelphia in 3. Philly just has too much for the Reds to handle.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Son of Liberty
V.I.P.
Series #1: I agree this is the year the Twins beat the Yankees (maybe it's wishful thinking) Twins in 5.

Series #2: I'm rooting for Texas but I think the Rays will take it. Rays in 4.

Series #3: I think Atlanta is going to take it. Braves in 4.

Series #4: Phillies have great pitching. Phills in 4

Wade8813

Registered Member
Hey welcome back, Squeak!

If Morneau was back, I think I'd pick Twins, but I'm not sure now.

I'm pretty sure I agree with Rays, Braves, and Phillies.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Hey welcome back, Squeak!

If Morneau was back, I think I'd pick Twins, but I'm not sure now.

I'm pretty sure I agree with Rays, Braves, and Phillies.
Thanks for the welcome back. I was pretty busy over the summer but I am all back settled in now. Couldn't stay away for ever.

The Twins-Yanks series will be real interesting. Two real contrasting teams, it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I believe the Rangers can beat the Rays and I really hope it does happen.

I can't wait to see Roy Halladay take the mound for the first time in a playoff game. I really hope he performs well. I'm sure he'll have a few jitters.

San Francisco vs Atlanta should be a good game, I love watching Buster Posey, and I can't wait to see what he's going to do in this series or possibly beyond.

My picks are:

Yankees
Rangers
Philadelphia
San Francisco

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
This is bad news for the the Twins, I knew he was out of the ALDS, but there was still a chance that he would be back afterwards.

I watched the game where he got concussed, and it didn't seem like that colission with John McDonald would be all that serious.

With that said, it's better not to take any chance when it comes to a concussion.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Yankees are going with a 3 man rotation consisting for CC, Pettitte, and Hughes.

Im trying to keep the probables up to date on the original post. Let me know if their are any changes and I will update it. I am trying my best to keep on top of every thing.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I'm not surprised that they are going with a three man rotation in the first series. I believe they would of went with a four man if they had confidence in Burnett or Vasquez, but they don't.

First pitch of the Phillies game is at 5:07pm Eastern Time. I'm pumped to see Halladay pitch in his first playoff game. He's been waiting for this for a very long time, so I imagine he'll have his best stuff today against the Reds.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
5-1 in the eight and barring a monumental collapse by the Rangers, they have captured game one. Cliff Lee had a hell of a game (7 innings, 10 strikeouts). Another big postseason from Lee and he is going to develop the rep as a big-game pitcher, if he is not already. That equals some major cash this off-season.

I only caught the last few innings here but the Rangers are playing very well. If they can continue to get good pitching behind Lee, they will be in a very good shape not only for this series, but throughout the playoffs.