• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

GeneralForum's MLB Championship Series Discussion

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
American League Championship Series: New York Yankees (95-67) at Texas Rangers (90-72)

Game 1 - New York Yankees 6, Texas Rangers 5
Game 2 - Texas Rangers 7, New York Yankees 2
Game 3 - October 18 @ Yankee Stadium, 8:00 ET (Cliff Lee vs. Andy Pettitte)
Game 4 - October 19 @ Yankee Stadium, 8:00 ET (Tommy Hunter vs. AJ Burnett)
Game 5 - October 20 @ Yankee Stadium, 4:00 ET (C.J. Wilson vs. CC Sabathia)
Game 6 - October 22 @ Ballpark in Arlington, 8:00 ET (Colby Lewis vs. TBA)
Game 7 - October 23 @ Ballpark in Arlington, 8:00 ET (Cliff Lee vs. TBA)

TV: All games broadcast on TBS (US) and Sportsnet (CAN)

National League Championship Series: San Francisco Giants (92-70) at Philadelphia Phillies (97-65)

Game 1 - San Francisco Giants 4, Philadelphia Phillies 3
Game 2 - Philadelphia Phillies 6, San Francisco Giants 1
Game 3 - October 19 @ AT&T Park, 4:00 ET (Roy Oswalt vs. Matt Cain)
Game 4 - October 20 @ AT&T Park, 7:30 ET (TBA vs. TBA)
Game 5 - October 21 @ AT&T Park, 7:30 ET (Roy Halladay vs. Tim Lincecum)
Game 6 - October 23 @ Citizens Bank Park, 3:30 ET(Cole Hamels vs. Jonathon Sanchez)
Game 7 - October 24 @ Citizens Bank Park, 7:30 ET (Roy Oswalt vs. Matt Cain)

TV: All games broadcast on FOX (US) and Sportsnet (CAN)

------------------------------
I'll try to keep the probables more up-to-date on this one then I did on the Divisional Series one. The Rangers so far are the only team to have set their rotation while the Yankees are deciding between Hughes and Pettitte for Games 3 and 4 while withholding the information that AJ Burnett will start Game 4 to prevent mass vomiting in the Bronx.

Meanwhile, the Giants have announced their rotation as such (Cain and Sanchez have flopped), excluding their Game 4 starter. Manager Bruce Bochy said it will likely be Madison Bumgarder but it would depend how the series is going to that point. For the Phillies, it's all speculation for CSN, except that Halladay will start Game One.

Last edited:

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I think everyone knows what I'm mostly looking forward too, and that's the second performance of Roy Halladay. It will be extremely hard to puplicate what he did last game, let's be honest here, he had a no-hitter. Same thing could be said for Tim Lincercum, he only allowed two hits and struck out fourteen during his first game against the Braves. It's going to be a story of the Mentor going against the student(even though Lincercum has been one of the best pitchers since joining the Majors)

The Yankees vs Rangers is an interesting series, I have no clue who's going to win. I think both of these teams match-up really well and it could easily be a seven game series. There's no word on who's going to be the fourth starter for the Yankees yet. There's a lot of buzz that it's going to be Burnett, but the Yankees seem reluctant to make that call right now.

I expect Josh Hamilton to have a great series, especially when they play in New York.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Rangers started well, but weren't able to maintain that lead. They were up 5-1 with a few innings left, but the Yankees were able to get the bats going and win the game 6-5. I'm pretty disappointed since they were playing so well early on.

Oh well, hopefully they'll be able to win Game 2.

Tonight's the big game for me though, Phillies vs Giants, Halladay vs Lincercum. It should be a great game to watch, one of the most exciting pitching match-ups in a real long time. Hopefully Halladay will be able to pitch another dominant performance and pick up the victory for the Phillies.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
That's a series killer for the Rangers. Losing a game like that at home is devastating. Already they have a must win tonight against the Yankees. Hopefully, they get 'er done.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
Disappointing performance by Roy Halladay yesterday. He allowed four runs, Lincercum didn't pitch all that great either, but he did enough to get the victory. You could see how pissed Halladay was after he let in all those runs.

On another note, the Rangers were able to win yesterday's game and tie the series up. They pretty much handle Phil Hughes, who definitely wasn't on his game yesterday.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Phillies were able to tie the series up last night with a 6-1 victory over the Giants. Roy Oswalt was fantastic and had great control. He made some of the San Francisco batters look foolish up there.

Jimmy Rollins finally got out of a terrible slump and was the key player in the line-up for the Philles. He drove in four RBI. I guess sliding him down in the batting order really made him think.

Next game will feature another fantastic pitching match-up, Matt Cain vs Cole Hamels.

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
Getting excited for the ballgame tonight, seeing Cliff Lee at perhaps his new stadium next season (yuck). This is a big game for the Rangers and I am expecting Lee to strut into Yankee Stadium and dominate the Yankees.

Both series look to have the stamina to go a long way. I see both series returning to their original sites for a 6th and possible 7th game.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
I agree, it should be an exciting game and I'm really intrigued to see how Cliff Lee will pitch tonight. Can he maintain his dominance? Only time will tell. He's going against one of the best pitchers in postseason history in Andy Pettite.

If the Yankees lose tonight, do you believe New York should go back to CC Sabathia, or you take a chance on Burnett in game four?

SqueakScolari

Registered Member
That's a good question. I personally think you gotta go with Burnett, because if you go with CC in Game 4 and he struggles on three days rest, the Yankees are toast. But even if you lose the 4th with AJ, you got some good pitching to attempt a comeback. The two major things that would make me save CC for Game 5 are:

1) CC has pitched on three days rest before with Milwaukee and was good, but, I just don't completely like the idea of throwing a pitcher on short rest unless it's an elimination game.

2) As much as a dud as Burnett has been this year, I would not be shocked if he went out and threw a seven-inning stud performance tomorrow. He has the stuff.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
The Rangers won 8-0, another stellar performance by Cliff Lee. He threw eight shutout innings, allowing two hits, walking one batter and striking out thirteen. He had great movement on his pitches, which left the Yankee batters guessing and made foolish at times.

Josh Hamilton started off the game with a two-run home run against Pettite and the Rangers never looked back after that.