• Welcome to the PopMalt Forums! Whether you're new to forums or a veteran, welcome to our humble home on the web! We're a 20-year old forum community with thousands of discussions on entertainment, lifestyle, leisure, and more.

Our rules are simple. Be nice and don't spam. Registration is free, so what are you waiting for? Join today!.

General Forum vs The Real World

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I kinda find that this forum is like a virtual world. Or at least a virtual discussion engine. Whereas, in 'the real world' I have a similar discussion engine, yet it is backed up with real people and real expression and real clarity.

I am not knocking the forum. If I hated it, I wouldn't be here.

I was just wondering (discussion wise) what difference you notice between your time here and your time in the 'real world'.

Do your conversations here mirror the ones you have with people in your real life? I mean, I'd say mine do to an extent.
e.g. I had a brief discussion about Red Dead Redemption, with someone on here and in real life. Yet there are also other aspects that don't transfer, e.g. I wouldn't talk shop here because it's boring, and I wouldn't propose a 'last word sentence' game in the real world, because I'd look like a mental case.

Anyway,

Do you consider this forum to be some sort of virtual reality? Because I often get that impression. As if I've entered a new dimension, identical to this world, but instead of communicating with people face to face, I just get to see their words.

Does that make sense?

I mean, I obviously distinguish, and prefer the real world. However, I wonder if people prefer the alternate? The forum? If you do, I have no judgement nor qualm, I just wonder.

So, please answer the following and discuss in general:
Is the forum similar in a discussive essence to the real world?
Which do you prefer?

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
I consider this Forum to be my internet home. And the people I met here are 10x, no scratch that, 100x better than the douchers I deal with on a daily basis. I can't seem to hold down an intelligent conversation with anyone IRL because everyone I know is acts like they're retarded (which speaks volumes for my behaviour on here, I guess(fail!)) My point is, GF = Good. RL = Meh.

Last edited:

Jeanie

still nobody's bitch
V.I.P.
part of the reason I come here is because I don't get a chance to have these types of conversations in real life.

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
I consider this Forum to be my internet home. And the people I met here are 10x, no scratch that, 100x better than the douchers I deal with on a daily basis. I can't seem to hold down an intelligent conversation with anyone IRL because everyone I know is acts like they're retarded (which speaks volumes for my behaviour on here, I guess(fail!)) My point is, GF = Good. RL = Meh.
Can I please ask how old you are?
Please?

HalfEatenSurprise

Registered Member
22. What's that have to do with anything?
It just does. I'm 23. I reckon 2 years ago I would've thought the same. But I'm just starting to see that things in this world are a bit better than I thought, if I add a bit of my own control over things. Things are better. Perhaps getting on a bit makes it so I don't know, I'm not a fucking sociologist life counsillor type of git.
Anywho, I reckon that the world gets clearer with time. Although I guess it's naive of me, I suppose it depends on what type of person you are.

Ignore me.
See my other thread.
Everyone's an idiot.

Babe_Ruth

Sultan of Swat
Staff member
V.I.P.
As you know, I like this place a lot. But I have to admit I prefer my real life 100x more. I enjoy coming here talking about sports or other topics with people all over the world. It's a great way to get better insight on different subjects.

General Forum is also a good way to waste some free time. But my friends and my social life is way more important to me then GF.

Bubbles

I ♥ Haters
Here’s the thing with me. I like things that my RL friends don’t like. I listen to music that they’ve never heard of. I watch sports that they consider “mediocre.” The people I hang out with are a little bit more “mainstream.” You know, the MTV Jersey Shore/Hills crowd. It’s not their fault, that’s just what’s “in” right now. Sure the differences are cool and make for good debates and shit, but at the same time they’re kinda BLAH. When I’m not hanging out there with them, I’d rather be here, talking to people I actually have something in common with. My best friend is sitting next to me right now and she has no idea who or what The Clash or Joy Division is.

I'm not sure if I'm making any sense here. I'm having trouble wording this because I'm beyong tired right now. I haven't slept in 24 hours.

Bliss

Sally Twit
Jeanie summed it up for me.

I've met a lot of amazing people here who I wish I could see on a regular basis. You know who you are!

Alb0G0dz5

Registered Member
I feel like a forum is here to converse with different kinds of people. You can state your opinion on a forum and you will either get people that agree with you or don't agree with you. As in the people in real life are usually people you have things in common with so you will never hear the other side of a story in a sense.

As far as what is better I'd have to say real life since people are actually in front of you and you can see how they are effected by your words or actions.