General Forum Risk - Opinion Poll

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
So something I've done on other forums, is run a game of risk. Here's a brief rundown on how it would work.

You sign up in the sign up thread that would be created.

I create a map, in this case, using either forum usernames, or forum sections (ie MD, GD etc) as the names for the countries. The more people that sign up, the more countries I need to make eh?

So how do you play, you ask?

Easy. After everyone signs up, each person picks a number between 1 and 100. Then I use a computer program or something to generate a random number from 1 to 100. Who ever is the closest to this number gets to pick their first country first. And the second furthest second. Etc etc, until each person has picked one country. I set up the map similiar to a Risk board, where you can only attack connected countries, so there is a bit of strategy to which one's you pick.

Once everyone picks a country, the game starts the next day.

Each day, each player gets 1 or 2 turns. More turns for less players, so the game doesn't take forever. Also makes it easier on me.
If there are leftover countries after the selection round, you can annex to that country using your turn, or you can attack the country of a neighboring country. A neighboring country would be one touching your border, or connected by a dotted line.

So when you attack, you post in the thread saying 'I attack countryname' and then PM me, or whoever is running the game, a number between 1 and 100. Then the person who owns the country you are attacking sends me a number between 1 and 100. I then generate a random number using a number generator, and whoever is closest wins the battle. Either you'll take the country, or the defender will keep it. Don't worry, I'll keep the OP of the game thread updated with who owns what country, and who owes me numbers.

The battles occur in the order that the posts are made

So if player 1 attacks player2's country
and then player 3 attacks player 2's country
I'll process the first attack, and then player 3 will still attack country, but if player 1 wins the first one, than player 3 will be attacking player 1 instead of player 2. If that makes sense. Basically, if I say 'need a number from you' than you simply send me a number lol. Your biggest worry is deciding who to attack.

Now for the points system. For each win, or successful defense, you get either 1 or 2 'gold'. This gold can be used to purchase game items. Things like atomic bombs or something like that. I'll keep a price list in the OP and if you have enough to buy an atomic bomb for example, you'd just PM me and say 'want to buy an atomic bomb'. None of the other players would know you had one now. They'd see your gold level drop though, so they'd be wondering what you bought. Possible effects when using the a bomb on a country could be something like instantly winning the country. Or something like propaganda. Buy something that makes your number automatically win.

There's not a horrible amount of strategy involved in this game. It's meant to be fun, and I think that alot of fun can be had with a game of such nature.

The game ends once someone conquers the entire map. Or if there's just two people left and it's dragging, I might end it early. Call it a draw so to speak.

So who all is interested in an idea like this. Post in here, or pm me your interest. If we get enough interest. At least 6-10 people. minimum to play a decent game. Come on guys, it's Risk =P

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I'll do it for sure, I love Risk - but maybe there needs to be something more complex than picking a number. I'll PM you my concerns. :p

But I'm definitely down for this.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
Picking 1-100 worked pretty well on another forum I ran this on way back. But there were less people. For picking the order, for picking the countries I imagine it would still work. But for the attacking, a different system might work better. Perhaps a dice roll of some sort? Set up a system similiar to the actual risk game.

Maybe, each person rolls 2 dice. (Brix said he could code up a dice roller or something, but I could even do something like that too). The attackers 2 dice have to beat out the defenders dice.

For example. Attacker roles a 5 and a 3, defender roles 4 and a 3. So the attackers five kills the 4, but the defender gets tie advantage like in risk, and so defender's 3 kills attackers 3. It's a draw, no one gets the country. The attacker's dice have to beat out both of the defenders dice to get the country.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I think that could work, but any kind of dice coding thingy would have to be a one shot thing, maybe even 'public' so as to prevent cheating maybe? :dunno:

Not sure if you or Brix could code something that you click to get a random number generated automatically for you, 'cos that way the 1-100 thing works just fine. But picking your own number could maybe be used to cheat. If the number is picked automatically for the person via this number generator then there's really no chance to cheat anything.

Smelnick

Creeping On You
V.I.P.
I could do it that way, just pick numbers for people. But I might just do the dice that way. Makes it easier for me anyhow. Than I don't have to scan my pm's all the time and pick out all the numbers. Just process the attacks, roll all the dice. Fairest that way.

Chaos

Epic Gamer
V.I.P.
I would think so but is it a good idea to automate everything? It kinda makes it look like the players aren't doing anything but being there maybe. Is there a way for the player to click the number generator, and see the results, but the results get sent straight to you?